litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Front Clam Respray & Paint Protection

Kevin

After nearly 13 x years of ownership, I'm just putting planes together to get the Elise across to Option 1 for a front clam and sill respray. But looking for advice in regards to paint protection!

I have a number of stone chips along the front of the clam and thinking about getting paint protection applied on the bottom half of the claim following the respray, but is the extra expense worth it so over to MOLOC for your thoughts and advice.

One more question as to what I should check for while the clam is off?? Rad and hoses are newish so are ok but what else should I check?.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had the Lotus paint protection film on a couple of previous Elises and it seems to me that a stone will always hit the bodywork between sections of the film (Sods Law)

I think you have to look at stone chips as an inevitable part of the ownership experience. I'm not up to speed with whats available these days though, so I could be talking complete rubbish?

I have had it on just because of the cost of the paint and marching issues with the flip.

If the film was cheap then it may be worth it but at the substantial cost you are better putting this cost towards having it repainted in a couple of years.

The film has other draw backs as well as the cost:

People spot the edge of the film and think it is a scratch.

The film is never perfect (stretch marks etc) when you look closely

You will get chips/damage just outside the edge of the film and due to the film you can not fix these

You can still get chips through the film (I did) and again you can not repair these.

If you do get some damage through/within 2ft of the edge of the film any repair will need the film removing and reapplying, possibly doubling the cost of the original minor repair.

Because of all this when I had mine repainted again I did not bother with it and guess what the first chip I got (not got many but everyone hurts) it was just outside where the film would have covered so pleased I did not waste my money.

So my advice, if it is a standard colour do not bother, even if you have a very expensive colour think carefully about it

You could also look at how your resistor pack is fairing up (if ur model has the same as mine) - they're known to corrode resulting in loss of blower speeds - but they're also a bloody pain to get too. Anyways, just a thought.

Also, re. painting, I came to the same conclusion as some stated above: avoid the expensive films and bank on a refresh every now & then. Plus I would ask the paint shop if they can put a thicker lacquer on than they normally would. Skimping on this means bad road-rash in a few months (as I have found out previously! Cheapo bloody paint shop!!!)

hth :)

Archived