litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

What Drivers Car .......

richbk

So after 10 yrs of lotus ownership I find myself looking at the dark side of pistonheads.

I have owned a K series s2 Elise which I loved and my current na exige which I love even more

But seem to be having dark thoughts around M3's, Aston vantages and 911 turbo's.

I'm not minted or frivolous with my cash, so are looking around the 30-35 k mark and there seems to a lot of bang for my buck at that price. I would love to do more trackdays where the lotus really comes alive (or indeed any trackdays 0 achieved this year due to work /family etc.) so keep thinking my adjustable suspension, Gpan sump, floating disc etc are all a bit wasted on the a52 with all it's speed cameras !!

As anyone swopped their lotus for another car they love and enjoy in the same way, or met /joined another forum like mloc that is truly a great part of the lotus experience, ??

Or will I just be disappointed and end up buying a 260 s for more money that I should really be paying in a couple of years time ???

Any comments / experiences gratefully received

Rich

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get a 2nd car....

an e46 m3 if you really want an m3.

I have the s1 as a 'toy' and run a mk2 st with a map to 285bhp (still reliable), whilst not the out and out performance of the cars you mentioned as a daily runner, it works well and the focusstoc.com is a lively forum

I didn't really swap a Lotus but I've also owned Renaulsport products for years and love them.

My current "everyday" car is a Megane 265 Cup and is possibly the most complete car you could buy for the money (imho anyway).  Capable of playing the brain out hooligan when required but also capable of daily chores and devouring huge distances with ease - a bit like an Evora but better (youch!!!!!!).

a bit like an Evora but better (youch!!!!!!).

Def wont be first in line for the Evora fan club hey Eric, or Elan ;-)

I sold my original Elise S for a Cooper S (hardly the same as an Aston I know) Rich and was skipping to Paul Matty's with G within weeks to get us the Exige! I've driven an M3 and Alpina in the past and nothing bought a smile to my face like any Lotus I've had in my life. No other car has made me look back and look at it and think wow I've just driven that and its actually mine!

Def wont be first in line for the Evora fan club hey Eric, or Elan ;-)

Well I wouldn't say that - I really like the Evora, but in terms of naughty giggles per pound, the Megane is the bargain of the century (or maybe just decade???) smile.png.

And you also get these luuuuurrrvly four pot Brembos with grooved disks up front....

gallery_1838_371_75027.jpg

As well as my Elise I have a BMW M135i, the Lotus gives me loads of smiles and gets all the looks and the 'nice car mate' comments. But the M is just phenomenally powerful and cape alb with its straight 6 turbo giving 320bhp in a 3 door hatchback, I had a Prodrive STI for several years but the M is far quicker and makes a beautiful sound, plus it's comfortable and got all the gadgets. A trip to Brands or Croft is effortless but in the Lotus I'm knackered! I am tempted by the M435i though, but it only has 4 seats and I need 5.

cheers guys.

i drive 130 miles a day to-from work in my trust mazda 2 diesel  - which has done 140,000 faultless miles, so the lotus is very much my toy car - my missus is always amazed that after all the commuting i then spend my days off / weekend mornings doing more driving !!

i guess what I'm asking is, and i appreciate this is a daft question on a lotus forum, but has anyone found another toy car that is maybe a bit more refined but just as much fun to drive and be part of a great owners group ??

tvrs are too unreliable although i keep looking at a near neighbours sagaris

caterams too track focused

jap crap too...well crappy (sorry scatty)

bm's and audi (bar an r8 which seem to be refusing to drop in price) - a bit too run of the mill.

i want to feel like I'm still having a driving experience but wouldn't mind just a tad more comfort and effortless push.

maybe I'm just getting old ???

rich

Going to be a bit predictable here but i would definitely test drive an evora if i was you. I tried quite a few at the £30k mark and nothing came close having been bitten by the lotus handling bug. +2 was a major requirement for me though so ruled out aston for example, which may have been a different matter. M3 just felt a bit ordinary, a slightly (not as much as expected) faster version of our 325d touring. Porsche dealer put me off 911s as he was a complete @rse. If i didn't need a +2 i would have been sorely tempted by a cayman r or boxster spyder, but having said that if i didn't need a +2 i wouldn't have sold my k series elise.

Evora gives you 95% of the thrills of the elise and exige and the same great handling, but in a far more usable / refined package. Try one.

Mate of mine has just purchased a Jag XKR haven't driven it yet and don't suppose its too fantastic as a drivers car but bloody hell it really is a lovely car. He looked at a couple of Vantages but decided that they were too tatty at that price? Just to keep you thinking Richsmile.png laugh.png

As a second car would anything too refined be a bit dull?

Have you thought about the komotech supercharger that Hangar 111 fit? M@rk's car has it and it absolutely flies. 275 bhp apparently and it feels like at least that.

If it was my only car, I'm not sure I'd be brave enough for the 911 or Vantage, they will be knocking on the door of 10 years old for £35k. I know Porsche are generally reliable, but something pricey would break knowing my luck.

You'd probably get a 3 year old BM for the same money. Of course the BM still has a fair way to go in depreciation.

What about a "compromise" 6 year old Nissan GT-R??

If you haven't already, Test drive an evora rich

Don't listen to him Rich, go try a Renaultsport Megane 275 Trophy instead (yes, even more power now, and if you're really in a spending mood, there's the "sold out" 275 Trophy R, which has now regained the front wheel drive world record at Nurburgring).

And with four years warrranty and servicing thrown in too!!!!

Archived