litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

How To Clean Glass

rocketian

When I bought my Elise (2nd hand) the dealer cleaned it beautifully.  The only way I could tell if a window was open was to poke my finger through it.

I have never been able to get really clean glass since.  I have misty deposits on the inside - if I polish them off it all goes smeary again in a few days.   I have tried using all sorts of proprietary glass cleaners.

How do you clean windows ??

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've managed to get showroom condition glass by doing the following......

1. Using a 'clay bar' inside and out, I used Autoglym rapid detailer as a lubricant ( snigger )

2. Wiping over twice with Mr Muscle glass & mirror cleaner with white ( no designs ) kitchen roll

3. Then on the outside inc wing mirrors use 'rain x'. Be sure to really wipe off the residue, I use cut up old cotton shirts.

I was never a big fan of 'rain x' as it used to leave milky deposits ( snigger again ) on the windscreen, however since I started using the clay bar method above I have had fantastic results with the product.

HTH

Mark

I've managed to get showroom condition glass by doing the following......

1. Using a 'clay bar' inside and out, I used Autoglym rapid detailer as a lubricant ( snigger )

2. Wiping over twice with Mr Muscle glass & mirror cleaner with white ( no designs ) kitchen roll

3. Then on the outside inc wing mirrors use 'rain x'. Be sure to really wipe off the residue, I use cut up old cotton shirts.

I was never a big fan of 'rain x' as it used to leave milky deposits ( snigger again ) on the windscreen, however since I started using the clay bar method above I have had fantastic results with the product.

HTH

Mark

Rain x for the outside no issues have some of the interior stuff as well which is an anti fog/misting agent.

That seems to work well.

Rain x for the outside no issues have some of the interior stuff as well which is an anti fog/misting agent.

That seems to work well.

Alex

I can't get the rain x anti fog to apply properly for love nor money! It always leaves a faint smudgy layer on the screen ( Like you smoked a few hundred B&H and not really cleaned your windscreen ). Now to be fair I have OCD so this might not bother 99% of others, but I want a crystal clear windscreen. 

What do you use to wipe off the residue and is your screen really clear afterwards???

Thanks

Mark

Alex

I can't get the rain x anti fog to apply properly for love nor money! It always leaves a faint smudgy layer on the screen ( Like you smoked a few hundred B&H and not really cleaned your windscreen ). Now to be fair I have OCD so this might not bother 99% of others, but I want a crystal clear windscreen.

What do you use to wipe off the residue and is your screen really clear afterwards???

Thanks

Mark

I've used it once or twice n found it's a case of elbow grease in order to rid it of the smear...

Or use the cloth previously used for the outside to remove smear once anti fog as been used.

I for one find the wonderful and exciting world of 'Glass Cleaning' a highly interesting subject, this art form could well be lost unless discussed in detail from time to time.

Until an OCD area of the forum is set up, these type of questions are just going to have to be posted here!

moon.gif

I think you will find newspaper ink has changed since this trick was first invented. The vinegar is now doing all the work and a kitchen roll would work equally well.

Those of us old enough to remember doing paper rounds with the old papers will recall the black hands from the print rubbing off slightly. The other benefit was the inks were petroleum based, not soy oil based.

My theory is the soot from the ink used to act as a mild abrasive, and the petrol as a solvent, so back then you only really needed water + newspaper for really clean glass.

The use of newspaper endured, whether through habit, or urban legend.

tbh why not use yesterdays paper, it's cheaper than a kitchen roll, unless of course you buy a vintage newspaper with the old ink just to witness the cleaning power of a late 70s copy of the Sun.

http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/publishing/articles/119583.aspx

Now we really are getting off topic...

Archived