litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

To Le Mans And Back.

Alex B

This time last week we had all got off the euro tunnel heading in France making our way down to Le Mans.

The daunting prospect of driving on the continent for the first time, in the shape of a five hour stint down to Le Mans was well under way.

We made it safely to the hotel with the little old s1 only have one mardy moment and decided to stall in the center of Rueon.

Saturday was the 1st of two trackdays for some of the MLOC members. Looked like a nice little track, similar to silverstone stowe.

I Popped up for a look around then me n Katie had a wonder into the city center for some lunch and a walk round the cathedral.

Saturday evening the 12of us headed into Le Mans for a meal and some beer.

y7ahu8er.jpg

Sunday the big day, Le Mans Bugatti circuit.

With and early start and the briefing done we started the morning track session. Oh my what a track! Mega fast straights, big sweeping bends followed by a nice little technical section at the start of the pit straight. The morning flew without issue trying to learn the lines. A quick dash to maccy d's and the petrol station followed by a parade lap and some pictures on the start finish straight and onto the afternoon session.anudubuq.jpg7e3ypyry.jpgygepe4ev.jpg7evunehu.jpg

The afternoon session brought the sun with it, as well as a few little issues for the S1 first of which was a loose wire off the starter motor solenoid. Followed by loosing a retaining bolt from my cam pulley cover resulting it burning a hole in to in with my cam pulley. A little bit of puzzling and a few cable ties later all was fixed and I was back out enjoying the rest of the day.

Another meal out and a few more beers that evening once we'd found somewhere open for food.

Monday, with a late tunnel back we took G's country side tours route back with the first 1:30/2hours have some beautiful roads and stubbing scenery. Mixed in with some dual carriage ways to make up some time. Coming off them around 20mile from Calais in search of fuel. Fuelled up and a quick supermarket dash we took the coastal road the rest of the way, with a very quick stroll along the beach. Finally getting on the tunnel and back into the UK for 5ish. The final leg of the journey was a touch busy, hitting the m25 around rush hour is never a good idea. Finally got home around 9pm.

We both had a fantastic weekend away and are already looking forward to the next one.

Thanks to,

Paul and Helen

Russ and Elaine

Martin and Lizzy

G and Laura

Andy and Deb

For all the laughs and the help when things started to look pear shaped.

Also thanks to Chris Edeson for convincing me to go in the first place.

hezynega.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good little wright up Alex. Really pleased that the car got there and back in 1 piece. I know it was touch and go.

Hopefully if its repeated next year i will be able to come along. Looked like great fun. :)

Zandvort and Amsterdam next year for us :)

I think this could be our plan as well as Katie is banging on about going to see Anne Franks house.

Good little wright up Alex. Really pleased that the car got there and back in 1 piece. I know it was touch and go.

Hopefully if its repeated next year i will be able to come along. Looked like great fun. :)

Definitely worth the trip!

Cars behaving well now, swapped the cat for silenced de cat since getting home get lovely flames out the back. Just requires mapping.

Great write up Alex!!!! Glad you enjoyed the trip, when you get hooked that's it, this is our 6th year at lemans. Spa is even better!!!

Next year I fancy sandervort or Spa, looking forward to it already.

I'm in for next year all being well! The Nordschleife is also an epic road trip and the track it's self albeit scary and dangerous is well,... hair on the back of the neck tingling!! It really is epic just to drive it (slow ish)!!!:0

The problem with the ring is you are not insured. I cant justify the risk of massive 3rd party liabilities. I would love to do it though.

Oh and Alex i think you will find your car needs some cam belt covers as well      tongue.gif 

You can get insurance though, CCI have covered me on previous Ring trips

I would be very suprised if you can now. IIRC one of the insurers got done for about a 3/4M bill last year. I would stand correcting though     smile.png

Edit, i have had a search and possibly you can get insurance. It will not be cheap though. Sorry for the thread drift Alex. Its worth pointing out though.

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/insurance.php

Archived