litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Electrical Problem - Confused...

SkidMark

First post, here goes...
My '03 Elise 111S (K series) developed an electrical fault which has now unfortunately turned into an intermittent one, making it harder to trace!
Initially, something caused the 10 amp fuse in slot number 7, Ignition Services, to blow, suddenly leaving the car dead with no electrics (coasting to a conveniently located pull in). This was after a run of about 30 miles (water & oil up to normal temp?). Replacing the fuse, everything was ok for another 10 miles when it happened again. My remaining spare fuse then only lasted about 10 seconds, so I got rescued and it was trailered home. The next day, armed with a bag of fuses, the car was fired up and the fault replicated (the engine warmed up to 99 degrees) but has not happened again on subsequent testing (I've only tested it stationary, as that's more convenient than getting stranded miles from home!)
I got an auto electrician to come out to have a look but as the fault was by now deemed to be intermittent, there was little he could do. He studied the wiring diagram (found online, seemed to be close enough!) and his best guess (his words, not mine) was that maybe the Stack instrument unit should be removed and sent away for testing or to stick a 15 amp fuse in place of the existent 10 amp (yeah, right!)
I'm totally lost when it comes to the invisible electrics - my first thought was that it was temperature related as it only happened when the temp was climbing but I reckon that's a red herring. I'd be really grateful if anyone has any thoughts on this?

Cheers, Mark.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi SkidMark,

the circuits I have found show a fuse R7 at 10 amps feeding the ignition coils and injectors, but I have 2 sets of circuits, one for the 111R another for the S2, and they are slightly different. The S2 circuit also shows the "Canister Purge Valve" on the same circuit from fuse R7.

Doing a search it seems the ignition coil packs are the favourite to fail? Not sure if the symptoms are a blown fuse though.

I also have an S2 111S, and it appears the electrical circuits are somewhere between a standard S2 K series and the Toyota! (as far as I can tell).

Very new to the Elise myself, so hopefully someone else will chip in and confirm.

If it only blows fuses when the car is moving, that would suggest to me that loom is chafing on something.....

It has also blown the fuse whilst stationary. The day after it was trailered home, I started it in the garage and ran it up to temp  - well, up to an indicated 99 on the temp gauge, and replicated the problem. I let it cool down and tried it again later but the fault didn't return! Yet!

Archived