litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Removing The Alpine Rear Speakers S1 Elise

Sundaydriver

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say when I put the kappas in it was a huge difference in sound quality.

For the sake of the cost of the speakers, some mdf and time to it you will not regret it (with hind sight I can't believe I put up with the pants alpine bits of cardboard for so long

I'll take a pic for you Dave b when I have a moment.  It's only a little 'sub', and to be honest, you'll get more potential low end from 6x9- it never hurts to split some LF off though.  It's a quick project just fitting a little sub in the passenger footwell- agh, but without mentioning the wire routing down the back of the dashboard!

Thanks for the loan of the wheel nut key Dave!

Cheers Keith, that would be great. Looking at the Alpine SWD-1600 (used) but I don't want it to look like a 17 year old's neonmobile......would prefer it if it was hidden completely under the dash but the size/thickness of it means it would get kicked by the passenger's feet I think. I want the subtle/invisible look but not sure it's possible in an Elise ;)

Glad to hear you got the wheel nut issue sorted.....bet that was a major relief.

I'll take a pic for you Dave b when I have a moment. It's only a little 'sub', and to be honest, you'll get more potential low end from 6x9- it never hurts to split some LF off though. It's a quick project just fitting a little sub in the passenger footwell- agh, but without mentioning the wire routing down the back of the dashboard!

Thanks for the loan of the wheel nut key Dave!

No problem, glad to have helped you out with

the locking key.

Ok, so some of you are clearly chuffed to bits

with the speaker upgrade... Perhaps I'll have a little look at removing the harness bar, to see if I can sort the rears, it does look to be a pita job though !

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped into Western car audio at Bristol on Saturday. They had three options of sub/amp,

and all were too big to fit in the footwell :-(

They've ordered an Alpine unit, which we're hoping will fit ! Progress :-)

• 3 weeks later...

New sub/amp now fitted. Much improved the

sound, even with the roof off at XXXMPH , it sounds

great !

The sub is installed as in Keith's car, affixed to

'firewall' , above the footrest. Fits in nicely, with

room to spare, and blends in nicely, despite being

black finish against the alloy chassis. It's bonded

in with a deal of foam like stuff , no rattles, or buzz

I'd recommend it wholeheartedly if you, like me

think music adds to the lotus experience.

post-5326-0-38027100-1409415934_thumb.jpg

You just can't beat a bit of Led Zep , or AC/DC accompanying you on a leisurely drive. Bob Marley for the motorway, and Blondie on the twisty bits. Kate Bush for the chicane anyone.

I can now stream from iphone, and get Facebook updates to the head unit. Mmmm... Maybe no to that last one !

The sub is so good, I've turned it down to '2' ...

Have you had to pull the pass foot rest forward (towards the seat)?

Hi Dennis, yes, it is repositioned to accommodate. I haven't had

a passenger in yet that's complained.

I might modify the footrest if I can still pull it out

easily. My wife complains ( on the very rare occasions she gets in it) that the footrest is too far away to reach. So i might look to knocking up something that suits her and most people.

My wife complains ( on the very rare occasions she gets in it) that the footrest is too far away to reach. So i might look to knocking up something that suits her and most people.

I think the S2 footrest is a double one and will fit the S1.

Archived