litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Rattling Noise

chumaxa

Hello guys,

I have a pretty much disturbing noise from the back of the car ( outside). It is an high frequency noise when I decelerate, it is not there when the car is cold, and not there when I drive it more like it is supposed to be on the paper. The heat shield of the exhaust has an hole on the side, behind the side, I assume it can come from there isn't it ?

If you reckon that yes it is, can I take it off and maybe simply use the heat shield tape around the exhaust tube ? And first,  drive a while without the heat shield ? 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rattles can be really hard to track down on the Elise.  I was convinced I had one behind my left ear.  Passengers thought it was behind their left ear.  It's turned out to be the shear panel (under the fuel tank) on the driver's side !

Oh ok, the thing is, a mate with an exige told me he had the same kind of noise at the same situation, so I just took the shortcut and think the same, specially because the heatshield looks in bad condition now .. I will try to check the nuts around the diffuser tonight. Cheers

I had a rattle on mine when I had it. I thought it was from a front wheel, rattled like hell when I put the power down or changed down gears..

Gav found it, turned out to be a crack in my exhaust system.. Quick bit of welding and it was back to normal.. It certainly didn't seem to be coming from where I thought....

I was drive1.gif along @about 60mph ( 40mph busted_cop.gif ) behind some traffic the other month with a rattling noise coming from the front of my 111s. Turn AC/DC down popped my head up over the windscreen to listen (and there goes another cap Doh) not sounding good crybaby.gif .

Had this for the next mile so was planning to pull over and have a look at the next pullin just past the next roundabout,unsure.png. Thankfully when the car in front turned off I saw that the car in front of him had one of those silly little trailors on (the ones the size of a tissue box)  Issues solved Thank God.clap.gif

Archived