litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Gav (Unit 4) . Top Man :-)

nordberg

Since my car had an engine transplant back in 2011 it's been plagued with a noisy tappet issue. Very seldom did I drive it without the annoying and intermittent issue rearing it's head at some stage in my journey. And if, on the odd occasion it didn't, I was anticipating it was going to do so which pretty much took away the enjoyment of the drive.

That's also been a contributing factor to me not getting as involved in club events and in some respects forum posts as I probably would have. I still loved my car....but probably not quite as much as I should have

However, I am happy to report that the issue has now been resolved thanks to Gav's persistence. It was a proper head scratcher for him, and I must admit I did have concerns over his mental well being after the fifth strip down to access the tappets . The issue was not fixable by changing the tappets or adding thicker oil, (although these had been changed to try and resolve). It turned out to be a slight machining problem with the cylinder head which required modification.

Well as you can see by the subject header, this post is just a post to say thanks to Gav at Unit 4 for being so persistent with my car. I'm sure he will have a nervous breakdown if he picks up the phone and hears my voice again, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has nightmares about my car, but what a top fella.

Thanks Gav!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since my car had an engine transplant back in 2011 it's been plagued with a noisy tappet issue. Very seldom did I drive it without the annoying and intermittent issue rearing it's head at some stage in my journey. And if, on the odd occasion it didn't, I was anticipating it was going to do so which pretty much took away the enjoyment of the drive.

That's also been a contributing factor to me not getting as involved in club events and in some respects forum posts as I probably would have. I still loved my car....but probably not quite as much as I should have

However, I am happy to report that the issue has now been resolved thanks to Gav's persistence. It was a proper head scratcher for him, and I must admit I did have concerns over his mental well being after the fifth strip down to access the tappets . The issue was not fixable by changing the tappets or adding thicker oil, (although these had been changed to try and resolve). It turned out to be a slight machining problem with the cylinder head which required modification.

Well as you can see by the subject header, this post is just a post to say thanks to Gav at Unit 4 for being so persistent with my car. I'm sure he will have a nervous breakdown if he picks up the phone and hears my voice again, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has nightmares about my car, but what a top fella.

Thanks Gav!

Glad he's got it sorted!

I pop in the other week, after he'd reassembled it again n Gav looked like a man on the edge.

Absolutely a top man. He was telling me about it the other day when doing some exhaust work on the Excel and it was clear that he was going to solve it.

The advantages of a proper engineer as opposed to someone trained to plug the computer in.

Well done Gav.

Andy, i presume the oil was not getting to at least one of the tappets? 

It was an intermittent issue. Problem being that the oil gallery which feeds the tappet should align with a recess in the tappet bucket. However it was clear that the there must have been a slight movement during the engine running where the gallery on one of the tappets feeds became blocked by the bucket on occasions sufficiently that the tappet drained before it became aligned again (if that makes sense). The fix was to modify the head in the form of an extension of the oil feed slightly so that the recess on the tappet bucket was not so critical. 

Archived