litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

I Met An Amazing Man Today

Dr H

At Duxford Flying Legends

Harry-Irons_2256884b.jpg

Harry Irons DFC. Rear gunner in a Lancaster in No. 9 Squadron. He flew 60 missions. Returned from every one in the aircraft, never had to bail out. In his eyes it was complete luck, no skill involved at all.

Took a picture of him with my son and he signed a copy of a book we bought.

Had a chat with him and asked some questions about his time in the war. I shook him by the hand and thanked him for everything he did. It really was a honour to meet him and I told him so, although he tried to shrug it all off.

He was looking very good for his 90 years ans I wish him many more :clp

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Average Life expectancy was 4 missions. It puts into perspective how brave these Men and Woman were. Top top man.

Interestingly he mentioned in passing what an easy time the Battle of Britain pilots had. Reckoned it was a walk in the park compared to 1943 Bomber missions which he said was the 'suicide year'. He said trips over to Essen were sheer hell.

I admit that I did start to feel my emotions welling up seeing him next to my 7 year old and explaining to him that he was meeting one of the bravest men he was ever likely to meet, and this man had done so much for him that he would probably never really understand.

I didn't realise how much of the conversation my boy was taking in but he seems to have been listening ore closely than I though as he's mentioned it quite a lot.

Archived