litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Big Disappointment.....no New Lotus Esprit To Come:(

mneil

Test drove a lovely R8 on Saturday at JCT600 Leeds; what a beautifully put together machine The Germans have done a superb job but left out the +2 which i need for the Grand kids. if you are in the market for one, you must check out this one 7500miles on the clock limited anniversary edition with all the carbon goodies.

any way back to the plot; having been told that i cant have it because the lack of seating for the ankle biters, i asked for any news on the release of the new esprit..............................as far as the sales folk had been told it will not happen; instead just a revamped Evora and not even a new  V8 for it. what a disappointment.

Ideas for any other car out there with the handling and looks of the Evora in a +2?....not interested in overweight bloated porkers! crybaby.gif

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon lotus will ditch the evora and produce the Elan as it's replacement, it shares the same chassis and configuration, originally it was planed to be a 4litre v6. Who knows may even see a roaster version

Aston? New FType?

I reckon lotus will ditch the evora and produce the Elan as it's replacement, it shares the same chassis and configuration, originally it was planed to be a 4litre v6. Who knows may even see a roaster version

Aston? New FType?

The Elan and new Elise were actually my favourites out of the new batch proposed by Bahar. Just to see something new coming out of the factory would be good!!

Can't argue with the R8 though; especially the V10 variants - matured into a stunning supercar with everyday usability.  But for something a little different with plentiful rear seats, how about one of the latest Maseratis?

Eric,

You don't rate the v6 Exige as a new or face lifted car?

Mneil,

Even if the Esprit did make into production, you still couldn't buy it, it was to be a two seater not a +2

Eric,

You don't rate the v6 Exige as a new or face lifted car?

Mneil,

Even if the Esprit did make into production, you still couldn't buy it, it was to be a two seater not a +2

Darryl,

No, not really.  Same basic Elise architecture with new subframes and engine.

We need something genuinely new (and cheaper!!) to keep up with the likes of Porsche (spit) who are now setting the sports car benchmarks.  Ok, that's not comparing it to the V6 Exige, but then its not in that "compromised" market.  The latest Boxster / Cayman is, however, a direct competitor to the Evora and that should be sending shock waves through the senior management at Lotus HQ.  This Porker variant is now the world's best "affordable" sports car, full stop.  Lotus should be aiming to take that crown back, with a vengeance.

Eric,

unfortunately I think we will talking to a wall; after the June/1st quarter results, Lotus on track for producing 2400 cars this financial year which is pre recession figures.

the cars appear to be very popular aboard with the UK now only accounting for about 15% of production, TBH the V6 is virtually a different car to either the Elise SC or the Cup 260 so totally different, yes a lot more money but a lot more car in so many ways; handling, quality, performance   

Eric,

unfortunately I think we will talking to a wall; after the June/1st quarter results, Lotus on track for producing 2400 cars this financial year which is pre recession figures.

the cars appear to be very popular aboard with the UK now only accounting for about 15% of production, TBH the V6 is virtually a different car to either the Elise SC or the Cup 260 so totally different, yes a lot more money but a lot more car in so many ways; handling, quality, performance

It's like with morgan I think is around same percentage 75-80% are now sold abroad. The money is now in the Asian markets. Brit pop culture now prefer German engineering, Asian markets loves the heritage of the British sports cars. I don't actually think lotus will build another supercar, it's not their market anymore, it's a hard fight to win. Unless they have lots of financial backing being pumped into the project, maybe we should hope TATA buys lotus?

It's like with morgan I think is around same percentage 75-80% are now sold abroad. The money is now in the Asian markets. Brit pop culture now prefer German engineering, Asian markets loves the heritage of the British sports cars. I don't actually think lotus will build another supercar, it's not their market anymore, it's a hard fight to win. Unless they have lots of financial backing being pumped into the project, maybe we should hope TATA buys lotus?

Hmm, Proton getting taken over DRB Hicom at exactly that time was probably the worst thing that could have happened to Lotus.  Yes, the five car plan was slightly bonkers, but at its core was engine, platform and technology sharing, so maybe not so bonkers after all.  Just needed a parent company with big balls, deep pockets, and enough vision to continue to back the project.

Test drove a lovely R8 on Saturday at JCT600 Leeds; what a beautifully put together machine The Germans have done a superb job but left out the +2 which i need for the Grand kids. if you are in the market for one, you must check out this one 7500miles on the clock limited anniversary edition with all the carbon goodies.

any way back to the plot; having been told that i cant have it because the lack of seating for the ankle biters, i asked for any news on the release of the new esprit..............................as far as the sales folk had been told it will not happen; instead just a revamped Evora and not even a new  V8 for it. what a disappointment.

Ideas for any other car out there with the handling and looks of the Evora in a +2?....not interested in overweight bloated porkers! crybaby.gif

So does this mean you're selling the Evora then Neil?

hi Guy had the evora for 2 years now and love it but was looking forward to a new model and one with dare i say it more emphasis on build quality as we are in the 21Century. have been getting a little frustrated wondering if the drivers door lock would open, or the boot light would work, or the boot lid would leak. step into the R8 and quality, workmanship shout aloud from every part of it BUT it aint a +2, if it was it would have been in my drive by now. looked at the Maserati, it's HUGE all that heavy metal!!! the new little F type looks nice but again not a +2 and the Xk looks like a lump of lard! don't appear to be able to get away from the Lotus stable but cant  see the point of replacing it with the same. really do like the looks and the agility of the Evora and the fact that not every man and his dog have one!

Funnily enough, Mrs L asked the other day if I'd be interested in buying yours if it came up for sale :)

Unfortunately, with the amount of money I'm pouring into the house at the moment I don't think I could justify it... :(

Archived