litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Advice On The Lotus Elise R

Lucy Jane Sharpe

The Elise has always been my dream and not his....... but we had agreed that after the Seven, we would have one for a while.  Having tried them though he's changed his mind.  Which is fair enough because he's funding everything while I'm back at Uni having a mid life crisis.

We've got a Porsche Cayman S Sport, and it's possibly the nicest car of that type I've driven.  We've driven from Worcester right the way up to the highlands and around the Scottish lochs etc in it, and then back down the M6 and M5, being stuck for hours on end in traffic, but still got out of it with a grin on our faces.  However it's not really the same sort of thing.  We've always had a daily sensible car (BMW 320d), the Porsche (first we had a 911, but then changed to a Cayman which we both prefer), and we DID have the Seven too.  Now that's sold.  I had a 2.0 Sport MX-5 a few years ago and did love it.  The Elise was my childhood dream, and test driving them did nothing to get rid of that.  We've come to terms with the fact that what he wants from a car and what I want are totally different, and so I'll go back to my dream of owning an Elise when I finish Uni and am working and can fund it myself.  I'll probably go for a 111S when I do get one - not a supercharged.  I don't need that extra Oomph for what I love.

I was just licking my wounds and getting over the disappointment - I'll get one when I pay for it myself.....until then I'll just make do with my BMW 320d (complete with dog rugs on the back seat and muddy paw prints everywhere lol).

We all have childhood dreams.......I don't think I'll be happy until I've lived mine.  I started off falling in love with a Jaguar Mk 2 when I was about 8, and then the Renault Alpine........I wanted to learn to rally drive, I wanted to get my bike license and experience that.  I took my bike license 2 years ago (despite then deciding I'd kill myself too quickly and getting rid of my bike), I've done rally driving, I've been in a Jaguar Mk 2..........I'm getting through my list but I guess the Elise will have to wait until I'm in my forties lol

To be honest Lucy, this all sounds a bit like your chap has other ideas. Is the Elise your dream or his ;-)

So, he has a Boxster S , they're not cheap to maintain and run are they ? It's a car for engineers, a childhood
dream maker, or ideal for complete posers and traffic light races. Never felt the need to have one myself.
Is he angling for an upgrade ...

Straight line speed is easy. You're unlikely to beat that particular 7 experience with an Elise I'd guess, the power to weight ratio
you had with that 7 means you'd end up with a seriously modified Elise costing thousands. I've only owned my Elise for a couple of weeks, So what do I know, but do you really want masses of power when you seem to enjoy the twisties so much ?
Mine cost me just over £9k, and it's a superb but standard 118bhp go kart.

You can have masses of twisty B road fun in a modestly powered low kerb weight car, I've had an MX5 for over a year
and enjoyed the very practical and civilised experience ( air con , quick roof , comfy , fab 1.6 TC sounds sweet etc ) matched with amazing value for money. Bang for buck alone you can't beat them.
Mine cost me £1k... I'm not saying it's a Lotus, but it's a fun B road car.

Keep the dream alive :-)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would suggest telling him a low mileage k series elise (an old one) will likely go up in value over the next few years - an s1 even more. Think of it as an investment.

Talk about shooting your missus down...

I have to say I agree with Elaine. If MrsB wanted a Lotus and I could afford to buy her one I would*.

I can't afford to but that's neither here nor there! :-)

In his defense, he's completely paying for my University degree and supporting me while I study.  As a mature student that helps astronomically and allows me to spend the time reading and putting the extra work in to get the class of degree I need to get onto the MA course.  For health reasons I couldn't go to Uni when I was young, and never would have been able to go now if it wasn't for him supporting me.  So he's preventing me from having to get into £50k of debt for which I am eternally grateful - without his support I would still be working as a laboratory technician, on a pittance of pay and paying off a car loan and credit card the size of Australia.

To be honest, I'm grateful to have any car while I'm studying full time.  He's provided so much for me, and changed my life totally - he's retired now (yes he's older than me) and the money he is spending on me, is money he could be spending on himself and money he worked hard to earn. Left up to me, I'd not have enough money to pay for any car!  So I'm not going to be complacent about it - he worked hard to fund a lifestyle he would enjoy and now I'm with him, I'm not going to start demanding things.  I was disappointed about the Elise, but I've got so much to be grateful for.  :-)

In his defense, he's completely paying for my University degree and supporting me while I study.  As a mature student that helps astronomically and allows me to spend the time reading and putting the extra work in to get the class of degree I need to get onto the MA course.  For health reasons I couldn't go to Uni when I was young, and never would have been able to go now if it wasn't for him supporting me.  So he's preventing me from having to get into £50k of debt for which I am eternally grateful - without his support I would still be working as a laboratory technician, on a pittance of pay and paying off a car loan and credit card the size of Australia.

To be honest, I'm grateful to have any car while I'm studying full time.  He's provided so much for me, and changed my life totally - he's retired now (yes he's older than me) and the money he is spending on me, is money he could be spending on himself and money he worked hard to earn. Left up to me, I'd not have enough money to pay for any car!  So I'm not going to be complacent about it - he worked hard to fund a lifestyle he would enjoy and now I'm with him, I'm not going to start demanding things.  I was disappointed about the Elise, but I've got so much to be grateful for.  :-)

This isn't about money, it's about morals. Why the whole carrot dangling thing? Why take you to test drive Elises, then snatch the offer away?  

My hubby would never buy me a car (which I'm quite happy about. I'm an independent woman, always have been), but he certainly wouldn't say he was going to, then not fulfill his promise.  

Can't be doing with games, especially not relationship controlling ones. One day you will see the light, hopefully... ;)  

E. :)

It's turning into an article from take a break.

Yep except I'm not on benefits, don't have four different children from different fathers, haven't slept with my sisters husband and don't have three nipples lol!  (Also other than what I've already said on the subject of cars, I have no problem with my relationship whatsoever ;-)  and am very happy).  PS I haven't ever read take a break but I'm guessing it's one of those sorts of magazines :-) 

In other news, we're back on the hunt for a supercharged Elise 111R .......currently the only one on pistonheads/autotrader/other classified ads is in Durham, which is a bit of a long way from us.  Waiting to see whether anything else comes up ;-)

Yep except I'm not on benefits, don't have four different children from different fathers, haven't slept with my sisters husband and don't have three nipples lol! (Also other than what I've already said on the subject of cars, I have no problem with my relationship whatsoever ;-) and am very happy). PS I haven't ever read take a break but I'm guessing it's one of those sorts of magazines :-)

In other news, we're back on the hunt for a supercharged Elise 111R .......currently the only one on pistonheads/autotrader/other classified ads is in Durham, which is a bit of a long way from us. Waiting to see whether anything else comes up ;-)

There has been 2 on seloc classified recently.

Come on Elaine, we know Reg is very dominant and would whip your ass if you disagree and step out of line. wink.png

Yes, but that's enough about what me and my toyboy get up to in the bedroom. :D

Archived