litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Advice On The Lotus Elise R

Lucy Jane Sharpe

Hi guys.  Looking for a bit of advice.

We've currently got an old Lotus Seven, and a Porsche Cayman S sport.  We both adore the Lotus Seven, but since I was a kid I've always wanted a Lotus Elise.  It was my pin up car, and therefore now that I'm of an age where I can do things like buy sports cars, I am looking at the Lotus Elise R as this is the one that is rated in Evo and has seemed to get good write ups in reviews.  We located one at Paul Matty's and had stated an interest in it, but were told it wasn't MOT'ed and therefore we'd need to wait until it was so that we could test drive it.  We gave them our number and said to let us know ASAP and we'd be over to take it out and possibly purchase it.  Two weeks went by and we thought it odd we hadn't heard anything so we phoned only to be told they'd sold it because someone walked in with cash in hand and didn't even want to drive it before buying it!  Needless to say we were furious and think that is an extremely shoddy way to treat anyone who is genuinely interested in some of your stock!

We then located another Lotus R in Droitwich, phoned yesterday to find out whether they still had it and arrange to test drive it this morning.  We drove up there mid morning to find that we couldn't test drive it because he'd sold it first thing and therefore he'd taken a deposit and wouldn't let test drive the car.  Once again, we'd expressed an interest, booked an appointment to drive it, and then been unable to even get to the point where we can start it up to see what we think?!

We are in the position at the moment, where my partner doesn't think the Lotus Elise R will compare power wise to the Lotus we already have (which is 230bhp and lighter than the Elise), and if we were to buy one it would be to replace the Lotus Seven we already have.......so we really need to test drive one to see whether this is ever going to get off the starting line! 

Has anyone had similar experiences to this when trying to find an Elise R? Is the Elise R the best driving experience out there as suggested by reviews or are there other Elises which on paper don't look anything special but surprise with power outtage?  Have we just been really unlucky with our experiences so far?  It's been a really annoying month, and I must say I'm quite shocked by the treatment we've had with the garages.  It feels like unless you walk in waving money on the spot and take the car without even driving it, you stand no chance of finding one! 

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.  Yes I'm female, and I'm crap at parallel parking, but I love cars and driving and am experienced in rally driving and have done track days with the Lotus so this not someone who just wants a pretty car to sit on the drive - the Elise has been on my horizon since I was about ten and all of my friends were reading comics, and I was reading car magazines!  I really would love some advice on where to go from here.......

Many thanks in advance

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to MLOC.

You'll find Matty's are like that.

There are lots of Elise variants and which one is best will never be agreed upon on an internet forum.

Best advice is to go and test drive as many different ones as you can before deciding which is best for you.  Don't ignore second hand as the latest models aren't always the best in lots of people's eyes.

Don't forget the Elise R and 111R are the same car!

With regards to best driving experience that debate could go on for hours!

I've owned

1x s2 k series Elise

1x s2 111r Elise (earlier model Elise R)

1x s1 Elise

I've loved all of them but all for different reasons.

Just to provide a counter-argument...  I mean, if you've got a car needing an MOT with possible cost implications as a result and then someone offers full price without...?  I had a very positive experience buying from Paul Matty, even though he is the hardest person I've ever found to barter with!  Totally agree it's rubbish to just leave you hanging though.  I had a near miss with a dealer near Leeds (I forget the name now... Performance Cars maybe?)  advertising stock they didn't actually have and then only mentioning this once arriving to look at said car.  

Totally agree about driving as many as you can.  Maybe come along to Chatsworth to see a huge cross section all in one place?

Just to provide a counter-argument...  I mean, if you've got a car needing an MOT with possible cost implications as a result and then someone offers full price without...?  I had a very positive experience buying from Paul Matty, even though he is the hardest person I've ever found to barter with!  Totally agree it's rubbish to just leave you hanging though.  I had a near miss with a dealer near Leeds (I forget the name now... Performance Cars maybe?)  advertising stock they didn't actually have and then only mentioning this once arriving to look at said car.  

Totally agree about driving as many as you can.  Maybe come along to Chatsworth to see a huge cross section all in one place?

Oh I totally agree with you - I'm not saying that they shouldn't have sold the car.  I totally understand that if someone walks in with the cash wanting it and not even wanting the bits fixing, then there is no reason not to sell it.  I just found it totally crap that nobody phoned and said they were sorry but the car was sold.  As far as we were concerned we were just waiting to hear back from them before going to drive it! 

We are just up the road from Shelsley walsh hill climb and have started going to that, and have seen many different types there.  I just want the opportunity to drive some now :-)

Alex B - we are split between two people with very different driving styles.  I love controlling and dominating a car, and thus love a car I can take around the lanes around where we live and that I can control around the corners at high speed.  Track days - I'm the person who is constantly going around the slalom if there is one set up - each time trying to beat my time!   My other half is more of one for a car which has acceleration to leave a whole line of traffic in it's dust and that's what he loves about the Lotus seven - it's got the speed of a motorbike but the handling of a nippy car.   I guess I'm just wondering where to start with test drives - I have a funny feeling if we went for a test drive in one and he hated it, he wouldn't want to go in any more :-(

SkyBlue - I've looked at his car and it looks amazing!

Speaking from experience, I'd say that the Elise R's need to be revved to death to make decent progress will soon get tiring.  I had mine for a year and was sick of it by then.  So, I traded it in for a brand new Elise SC (this was back in 2008) and absolutely loved it - mighty quick in a straight line with no loss of all the usual Elise fluency round corners.

My advice, therefore, would be to forget the R, take your time, and go for the latest model Elise SC you can find (last production was at the end of 2010 due to emissions regs killing off the Toyota 2ZZ screamer).  You will not be disappointed!!

Speaking from experience, I'd say that the Elise R's need to be revved to death to make decent progress will soon get tiring.  I had mine for a year and was sick of it by then.  So, I traded it in for a brand new Elise SC (this was back in 2008) and absolutely loved it - mighty quick in a straight line with no loss of all the usual Elise fluency round corners.

My advice, therefore, would be to forget the R, take your time, and go for the latest model Elise SC you can find (last production was at the end of 2010 due to emissions regs killing off the Toyota 2ZZ screamer).  You will not be disappointed!!

Thanks Eric - very useful.  Will have a look around and see what's about to go and look at......

Eddie's car is still for sale if you fancy a nice 111r

http://www.midlandslotus.co.uk/forum/classifieds/item/491-elise-111r-uk-special-build/

Yes still for sale on hols until 26 if your interested .

Eddie in Morocco.

Thanks SkyBlue

Full lotus service history

HPI clear.

It's a good one .

Stored in garage clean and polished for the new owner.

Eddie.

You'll be wanting a light S1 with a supercharged Honda in the back if you want handling and power to leave everything in your dust wink.png

Honda (((((shudder))))) - just make sure you change the oil regularly.  Damn those pesky hydraulic chain tensioners!!

Speaking from experience, I'd say that the Elise R's need to be revved to death to make decent progress will soon get tiring. I had mine for a year and was sick of it by then. So, I traded it in for a brand new Elise SC (this was back in 2008) and absolutely loved it - mighty quick in a straight line with no loss of all the usual Elise fluency round corners.

My advice, therefore, would be to forget the R, take your time, and go for the latest model Elise SC you can find (last production was at the end of 2010 due to emissions regs killing off the Toyota 2ZZ screamer). You will not be disappointed!!

I have to say that I complexly agree. When I first went shopping for my Elise, I had already set my sights on an "R"; I test drove both it (and at the suggestion of the dealer) an "SC". The latter had an engine that was so much more flexible with easily accessible power and performance. I ordered the "SC" In a heartbeat!

My only complaint...

... was the introduction of the V6 Exige... :-)

The very best advice is to try both.

Archived