litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

For My Birthday This Year... I Had A Dual Action Machine Polisher

Phil S1

Why I've waited this long I don't know, I guess I was always wary that I might do more harm than good but that fear was totally unfounded.

I opted for the safer dual action type as they are less aggressive than the rotary polishers that the professionals use. The DAS-6 Pro dual action polisher seemed to get some good reviews so I chose that combined with the Menzerna intro kit.

IMG_9359_zpsb32e7855.jpg

I got it from Clean Your Car...

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher-menzerna-intro-kit/prod_720.html

I had a trial run on my daily driver, tentatively at first but gradually gained confidence with it so then progressed to the Lotus. I was able to remove a good number of the swirl marks that would have taken an eternity by hand. Some of the remaining marks could probably still be removed in time but I am still wary of going too far with it.

I'm pleased with the results anyway, it's better than I have ever been able to achieve by hand...

IMG_9364_zps1785a8c3.jpg

IMG_9365_zps1b9896ce.jpg

I would've taken it outside for some photos but it's been drizzling on and off all day... I don't want to get it dirty now wink.png

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's well worth the investment, it takes all the hard work out of polishing and achieves a better overall finish. The side intake in the photo is actually the most awkward area because the polisher can't get into the recess very well, so there's still an element of hand finishing to be done. I'll be having a go at the wife and daughter's cars next I reckon.

Nice results - not that your car need much polishing anyway Phil. The couple of times I've seen it it's been immaculate!

Can't you get a smaller head / pads to get into the intakes?

My daily is in desperate need of a polish and have been considering getting one of these for a while.

Thanks for the compliment Leigh, that's something coming from you!

You're right, I've just had another look on the website and they do a 3 inch backing plate to suit the DAS-6 Pro (You get a 5 inch and 6 inch one with the kit) so that's got to be the way to go...

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-accessories/dual-action-backing-plates/3-75mm-dual-action-backing-plate/prod_1248.html

And as generaljake says, patience is the key. You start with the least aggressive polish / pad, see what that achieves, then go more aggressive only as necessary before finishing off again with the least aggressive one. Then you need to protect all your hard work, if you want you can apply a glaze to help mask any remaining swirls followed by a sealer and/or a wax to protect it.

Nice finish indeed Phil, and this type of polisher is very popular amongst the boaters, as its very kind to the gel coat.

But at the end of the day, you can't beat the look and feel of your own hard work: 

IMG_3731_zps551956ec.jpg

IMG_9209_zps571edf89.jpg

That's about 60 hours work - compound and 10 coats of polish, all by hand. Mrs P did the polishing and I took the photos.

She's now been back in the water for a couple of months and still looks the same - the boat that is  smile.png

Made a nice job of that, car looks mint. Nice to get time to polish your car. My car should look immaculate too as my son's a franchisee for AutoSmart and keeps bringing me different products home and its starting to look like the back of his lorry. I haven't found any time yet to use them all. Just keep having to step over them all, think one day I might get round to using them lol. 

post-3627-0-23247100-1403023195_thumb.jpg

post-3627-0-00249000-1403023260_thumb.jpg

post-3627-0-83046400-1403023334_thumb.jpg

post-3627-0-07771400-1403023405_thumb.jpg

post-3627-0-62485800-1403023452_thumb.jpg

post-3627-0-59721700-1403023538_thumb.jpg

post-3627-0-30257200-1403023639_thumb.jpg

post-3627-0-74146400-1403023686_thumb.jpg

post-3627-0-03366800-1403023758_thumb.jpg

post-3627-0-12930900-1403024696_thumb.jpg

If ever there was a need for a machine polisher then a boat that size must surely be it!....but I guess if Mrs P is prepared to do it all by hand that's even better wink.png

...and Andy.....you've got absolutely no excuse with all that gear, I expect your motor be gleaming at Chatsworth biggrin.gif

Made a nice job of that, car looks mint. Nice to get time to polish your car. My car should look immaculate too as my son's a franchisee for AutoSmart and keeps bringing me different products home and its starting to look like the back of his lorry. I haven't found any time yet to use them all. Just keep having to step over them all, think one day I might get round to using them lol.

The fresh blast stuff is mega!

I thought polishing the Lotus was bad enough, but a boat!!! My arms/shoulders are hurting just thinking about it!  

Andy that's not a garage it's a shop lol!  I was helping my father in law tidy out his garage in readiness for moving house and there must've been about 15 bottles of various polish/wax/t-cut, all of them had separated or gone off they'd been there that long!  

My hubby bought one of those 2 handle polisher things on offer at Halfords, avoid like the plague, they're crap.

ETA: Sorry forgot to compliment you Phil on that mirror finish.  Red really does look fab when properly detailed.

Archived