litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Toy...

Alex B

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's kind of what I was getting at, what else would be needed for that to be used on my S1?

Jon, it should be plug and play for your S1. I did not realise the early Emerald do not do the VVC. Thinking about it i expect the VVC coils take a fair bit of current and need dedicated drivers in the ECU? Not a problem on any car that is not VVC. Check with Emerald first though.

The unit will work on and k series that isn't a VVC, it can off a 340r

Martins right for it to work on a VVC it requires different internal hardware.

Is plug and play on s1 Elise's bar VVC due to two plugs on VVC ecu.

Jonny, I have a really good map for an emerald and a 190 vhpd. It makes my Exige drive like a normal car. BUT.....an S1 a Exige is NOT plug and play with an Emerald, it has an EFI ecu with a totally different connector. You have to make an adapter loom to get it to work. If you are interested I have the tricky to source connector. I have the wiring map as well and can tell you how to adapt the relays to make it work. It is all on the a Emerald site as well but ignore their advice on the relays, it Is not the best solution.

If you have an s1 a Vhpd an Emerald, mapping and verniers transforms the enjoyment of the car.

You don;t need an adapter loom for the S1 Exige / 340r you can cut the ECU plug off and wire on the Emerald connector. This is the ways it's done on mine.

No one has ever produced a commercially available adapter loom but I know someone who did their own. Pretty sure the connector you need for the original lotus ECU is from an E90 BMW.

That's correct. It needs an adapter loom using a BMW Ecu or you can chop the end off the car loom and fit a new Emerald plug , same difference really. I have a junk BMW Ecu with the connector. The emerald end is available from Emerald. I purchased a pre-made one but it had some wires missing and a couple broken. It is not hard to make one and I preferred to make the adaptor to cutting the end off the Lotus loom. I can always put the car back to the original ECU but I doubt I ever will.

I have never managed to get the aircon to switch on, even after fitting pull up resistors in the loom. Everything else works fine.

Thanks guys that's super helpful info, appreciate it. Alex if you still have it in a month or so, I'll squirrel that away. I've had a massive spend recently so if it goes to a new home in the meantime no worries.

Just to clarify, its likely I'm keeping the S1, it's getting torn down in July :-) but if a buyer comes before the add expires I'm letting it go.

For an a Elise 111r an Emerald will do nothing. Lotus made a really good job of the mapping on the ecu. For the vhpd in an S1 Exige the mapping and cam timing are shocking. The engine stinks of petrol, does not pull below 4k rpm, howls above 6k, does not idle etc. it is a total mess. The vhpd is blamed as being a bad engine but, time the cams, fit an Emerald and get it rolling road tuned and it is transformed.

I got mine done at Dynotech in a Ripley, Derbyshire and I am delighted with the mapping.

I have an s1 and an S2 and before it was remapped I much preferred the s2 to drive, now I am not sure. The s1 vhpd has always been faster than the s2 on the track, because it only weights 730kg and has much more torque. I want to get it on the track again soon but just had it static noise tested at Tollbar Racing and it was 104dB., not good.

It needs a new exhaust.

Thanks guys that's super helpful info, appreciate it. Alex if you still have it in a month or so, I'll squirrel that away. I've had a massive spend recently so if it goes to a new home in the meantime no worries.

Just to clarify, its likely I'm keeping the S1, it's getting torn down in July :-) but if a buyer comes before the add expires I'm letting it go.

If it doesn't sell Jonny, and you still have the S1 Exige it's yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived