litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S2 Exige Brakes

Evening all

On my last service/MOT I was told that my pads were on their last legs and will more than likely need replacing before the next MOT. Now although the brakes are ok on the Exige I haven't been bowled over by them so was thinking of upgrading for a bit more stopping power since the pads need doing soon anyway.

Reading different threads on here about different pads etc I've come up with a bit of a shopping list from Eliseparts. Just wanted to know what people think in their experience of the following?

Ultimax Turbo Discs (or the S2 lightweight ones for twice the price)

Pagid RS42 Pads

Stainless Steel Hoses

Castrol SRF Fluid

Cheers

Chris

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ultimax Turbo Discs

Carbon Loraine cl5+

Stainless Steel Hoses

Castrol SRF Fluid

The cl pads are prone to stick to your disks if left wet and or outside unused for a few days & if you do try cl pads change them before they get too low!

Prepare to be amazed !

And get yourself to Cadwell on Thursday :-)

Evening all

On my last service/MOT I was told that my pads were on their last legs and will more than likely need replacing before the next MOT. Now although the brakes are ok on the Exige I haven't been bowled over by them so was thinking of upgrading for a bit more stopping power since the pads need doing soon anyway.

Reading different threads on here about different pads etc I've come up with a bit of a shopping list from Eliseparts. Just wanted to know what people think in their experience of the following?

Ultimax Turbo Discs (or the S2 lightweight ones for twice the price)

Pagid RS42 Pads

Stainless Steel Hoses

Castrol SRF Fluid

Cheers

Chris

I had pretty much that setup (but with OEM discs) on mine for a while. Stopping power was good and I'm hard on my brakes. However at a trackday at Rockingham, I did notice a bit of fade on one particular corner (immediately following a very hard braking section) Did some research and came to the conclusion it was the discs getting hot, they needed to be bigger to disperse the heat. So I went for some bigger discs, the biggest I could go and retain the oem calipers. Been spot on since, no problems like that again.

So my recommendation is if you're going to change the discs go for bigger ones

Ultimax Turbo Discs

Carbon Loraine cl5+

Stainless Steel Hoses

Castrol SRF Fluid

The cl pads are prone to stick to your disks if left wet and or outside unused for a few days & if you do try cl pads change them before they get too low!

Prepare to be amazed !

And get yourself to Cadwell on Thursday :-)

Mine does get put back in the garage wet occasionally and left in there for a couple of weeks so the CL pads might not be good for me?

Oh and I have blagged the day off on Thursday so will be coming to Cadwell

I'm running, on an S1

Floating ally bells (slightly bigger size than standard I think)

Cl5+ pads

Standard hoses

Dot4 fluid

Even with this set up the stopping power is brutal.

Will be installing braided hoses and new fluid before Cadwell with a bit of luck.

I went for the biggest you could get with OEM calipers - AP Racing. But there are some that are just slightly bigger. I would do that. Once you get the pads, fluid and lines the stopping power is more than enough for these light cars. Its just the heat dissipation with small discs that can cause problems.

In your situation with your use of the car I probably wouldn't just upgrade to bigger, but if you're going to get new discs anyway to me it makes sense. Elise Parts do a few different size discs.

If not doing many TDs Chris don't bother with SRF it'll be well over spec, expensive and need changing twice a year. I have just switched to Motul RBF 660 after running SRF for four years and can't tell the differnce.

Edit defo change front and rear hoses without doubt :-)

Mine does get put back in the garage wet occasionally and left in there for a couple of weeks so the CL pads might not be good for me?

Oh and I have blagged the day off on Thursday so will be coming to Cadwell

I am using RS42's and they also stick as above. I never leave the hand brake on either.

You can put the car away wet. You only need to worry about the pads and discs being wet. I do the following drive it slowly backwards and forwards a few times in front of the garage whilst left foot braking. It drys the discs and pads and that is all you are concerned about.

It also stops the discs rusting if you dont use it for a while. I have used CL5+ for ages doing this method and never had a problem, i do leave the handbrake off as well in the garage. If you are worried about it moving leave it in gear. Dont forget to check before you start it back up though :)

As Martin, I've used CL5+ for years and never really had a problem with pads sticking, you get the odd clunk when you first move it, if you washed it and put it back in the garage and left the handbrake on with wet brakes. I leave the handbrake on lightly just to stop it rolling about when leaning on it.

I used the Halfords Track Day brake fluid - very good spec's and lots cheaper (especially if you have a trade card, or know someone with one) - I had a spreadsheet of all the fluids somewhere and you don't need to change it as often as the SRF. I have never had brake fade with it. I run CL5+ front and back, 295 ali bell fronts, ultimax turbo disks rear. (the ultimax do make odd noises when hard on them if you listen out for noises).

Braided lines (at the front) usually mean clam off (can be done without on some but it is a pain) - so fit when you have any radiator work - only about £65 for lotus ones.

Interesting comment about the left foot braking to dry the discs off. I always do this with the Exige during a quick spin round the block before nipping into the garage.

But the latest ECUs go into limp mode when left foot braking for more than a couple of seconds - doh - as I've now experience with the Elise. It's absolute fine with heel and toe shifts (for a quick blip) but the ECU kills the throttle if both are active longer than that two second period (roughtly).

I'd already heard about this in the Elise S and was kind of hoping they wouldn't have bothered for the 1.6. Damn!! All down to fatty americans apparently.

Sorry, a bit off topic but hopefully entertaining anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I run CL5+ front and back, 295 ali bell fronts, ultimax turbo disks rear. (the ultimax do make odd noises when hard on them if you listen out for noises).

Do the 295 discs fit straight on to the standard calipers or do you need spacers or new calipers?

Archived