litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Fun In The Lotus Position

Martin R

This is a job i have been meaning to do for a long time. i have had trouble heel and toeing on my S2 K series Elise. The brake pedal when pushed hard was slightly below the level of the throttle pedal. This made easy H & T hard. You had to twist your foot to a funny angle to do it.

I had tried adjusting the throttle pedal to sit lower however when i did this it prevented me getting 100% opening of the TB butterflys. I decided the brake pedal needed adjusting. After a quick look at the SELOC tech wiki i needed a 17mm and 10 mm spanner to do the adjustment.

Now i have a fixed race seat and decided to be lazy and not take it out to do the job ( first mistake ) as im 5 foot 9 its quite close to the steering wheel. So it was roof off and assume the Lotus position with my head in the drivers footwell.

It was at this point i realised i had the wrong tools. I also realised i was stuck. I eventually removed myself by pulling on the steering wheel and honking the horn unintentionally a few times. it turns out you need a 3mm allen key and a 10mm spanner on a S2 K series.

I decided to do the unmanly thing and read the manual before another go. It turns out the brake pedal should rest on the pedal box scuttle flange ( ohh err ) and then have half a turn of preload on the pedal for it to be adjusted correctly.

When i assumed the position again my pedal was about 2mm from the flange. It only took me about an hour to get at the locking grub screw and get it right. The techwiki was for a Toyota car. The good news? Its now perfect for H & T and the brakes appear to work better smile.png If you are struggling with H & T on your S2 K check the brake pedal adjustment. Have fun.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin you need a removable steering wheel in your life wink.gif

Edit: check your brake lights, when I adjusted mine the brake lights were on all the time. I then had to back it off a little.

Martin can you help with this? I noticed today my brake pedal was lower down than it used to be before you feel pressure. The brakes then work fine. What could cause it? Has an adjustment slipped, or could it be that it needs fluid to take up slack caused by the shocking wear on my new cheapo cheesium discs?

(I kneel at your feet O Learned One)

Thank you

Dean, i would give them a good bleed and then check the pedal position smile.png

Edit, you might also want to check the handbrake adjustment. IIRC you have a set measurement on the rear brake trunion. If this is out it may stop the rear brakes self adjusting?

Dean you did have a lot of wear on those discs.. My CL5+s aren't giving me any brake dust and the disc wear is not visible, maybe replace or contact the company you bought them off and complain about the wear, I have never seen such disc wear,

Jode.

Dean you did have a lot of wear on those discs.. My CL5+s aren't giving me any brake dust and the disc wear is not visible, maybe replace or contact the company you bought them off and complain about the wear, I have never seen such disc wear,

Jode.

I presume you have seen Dean drive? laugh.pngtongue.png

Jody do you think the (ridiculous) wear could be responsible for the longer pedal?

I shall still do as Martin says and ask Gav to look at the handbrake and bleed them again.

Archived