litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

djb222

I used my s1 as a daily driver, I have never had much of an issue with the roof to be honest, it does take a bit longer to fit but that is about it, remember early s2's had pretty much the same roof

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

S1s are a fantastic steer they are light and nimble and a joy to drive fast.

The roof however is a nightmare. The S2 roof even the longtail is a quantum leap on. The S1 was intended as a shower cap really it doesnt even have rubber seals on the window part. The hardtop will cure those issues of course but again its not straight forward like the S2.

You could do what a growing number of people are doing and have one of each!

Thanks for all the info, really appreciated.

Both the S1 and S2 are good looking cars. I am looking for a car that I can have fun with initially but modify and upgrade as i go along. My one concern, I suppose, is that if I buy an S1 that is standard, and as some have said is an appreciating classic, to much modification will affect its future value. Am I wrong?

In terms of colour, I don't really mind.

Currently looking through all the classifieds and narrowing down on a few so will be bending your ears for more advice over the next few days.

Thanks for the offer jonny I may be in touch

Regards David

At the cheaper end, would you consider this car to be one to look at or start with a more standard car and upgrade as I go, which is my personal leaning.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/elise-s1/1999-lotus-elise-s1/2213309

David

That looks to be a very well specd car for the money, definitely worth a look.

I agree with Alex it seems to have been properly maintained and so worth a look. The body probably won't be mint at that age and money I suspect but then an absolute minter would probably be twelve grand.

thanks guys

This probably sounds strange, and totally counter to what I originally posted, but I've just been to see an Exige s1 fairly local which is up for sale on PH in Gunmetal grey 2001, service history up to 2005 in the book,the body looks good. Couldn't drive it battery flat, looks like water has got behind headlamp covers. The chap has had it for 4 years. He would come over to me for a test run.

I'm re thinking my budget upwards!!!!. Help!!!!

David

You didn't say you were considering Exige S1's when we spoke......now there's a lovely car!!!!

If you look after them they really hold their value....money in the bank!

Mark

The Elise seems similar to how mine was all those years ago. the tail pipes look more janspeed than larini, not sure if that may just be a decat or a manifold?

I would repainting the grilles black but other wise looks good

Re modding a future classic unless it is a ultra low mileage car with mmc's I would not worry about mods loosing you value, modded Elise's are still sought after and if done well pull decent money

Re the exige I would love one but the vhpd engine is not ideal as a daily driver and do often need a rebuild (well it would with nearly double the normal power)

S1 Exiges are very desirable. Whenever Kurt comes out with us lot in his it draws a crowd. I would have one in my lottery win garage, no doubt. They do require a lot more maintenance than a normal Elise though (the early vhpd engines were rather chucked together apparently and need rebuilding properly) and I'm told they are hard core noisy and very hot inside. I think you can convert them to an optional soft top but it would look all wrong.

But still. Really really nice cars.

S1 exige's look gorgeous from every angle!
Kurt is the man to speak to with regards how to live with them. I recall him saying he uses it as often as possible to go to work in.

S1 Exiges are very desirable. Whenever Kurt comes out with us lot in his it draws a crowd. I would have one in my lottery win garage, no doubt. They do require a lot more maintenance than a normal Elise though (the early vhpd engines were rather chucked together apparently and need rebuilding properly) and I'm told they are hard core noisy and very hot inside. I think you can convert them to an optional soft top but it would look all wrong.

But still. Really really nice cars.

You can't put a soft top on a s1 exige without major modding (and in effect killing it) get one with air con to make it acceptable.

I would love one as another keeper but I would need to be minted to buy it and use it as intended

Archived