litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

djb222

Hi all,

Just joined the club. I've just started looking for an elise maybe an exige, but favouring an elise S2 at the moment.

I'm seeking advice given the number of variations available. I'd love to meet anyone locally in the Great Barr/ Sutton Coldfield area to chat, PM me if anyone is interested.

In the meantime I'll carry on reading.

thanks in advance

David

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi David and welcome to MLOC.

I have an early Rover K series engined Elise s2 in base spec, with 120 hp. I absolutely love it, it is a fabulous thing. It handles beautifully, stops like you wouldn't believe and goes like stink.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you need a higher powered version - you may prefer one, but the 120hp cars are still plenty quick enough.

Remember too all Toyota engined variants are a lot heavier - we are talking 120 kilos heavier than mine (870 v 750) due to heavier engines and boxes, and the brake servos and abs kit they have. All that weight adversely affects handling, grip and braking. The newer cars are more refined though, and don't suffer with the head gasket failure the Rover cars do. All Rover cars WILL have hgf at some point but when it happems a proper repair with the new style gasket should sort it for good and will cost you about £800.

I would look for a nice clean low mileage Rover car with a good history in a good colour.

Happy hunting.

Thanks Dean,

Sorry to lower the tone, but I've replaced the hg on my 1.8 k series freelander, bit of a pig to do but strangely satisfying.

I'm leaning towards a K series, most owners seem to be more than happy with them. Love the Yellow or Orange ones, what do you say are the good colours.

David

Hi all,

Just joined the club. I've just started looking for an elise maybe an exige, but favouring an elise S2 at the moment.

I'm seeking advice given the number of variations available. I'd love to meet anyone locally in the Great Barr/ Sutton Coldfield area to chat, PM me if anyone is interested.

thanks in advance

David

Hi David

Welcome to MLOC!

Obviously I don't live too far away. I have had a Elise 111S which I loved and to be honest IMO is the best Elise to have. I currently have an Exige 240S if you ever want to have a look just let me know!

A few of us meet fairly regularly at the Horse & Jockey in Sutton for a few beers and a chat, there is one this Thursday coming IIRC (See Events).

Mark

Hi all,

thanks in advance

David

Hi David got a breakfast meet at Hilltop Farm Warwickshire tomorrow if you fancy popping over see a selection of Elises.

Eddie.

Hi David got a breakfast meet at Hilltop Farm Warwickshire tomorrow if you fancy popping over see a selection of Elises.

Eddie.

Hi Eddie, wish I could but got family over tomorrow.

Hi David

Welcome to MLOC!

Obviously I don't live too far away. I have had a Elise 111S which I loved and to be honest IMO is the best Elise to have. I currently have an Exige 240S if you ever want to have a look just let me know!

A few of us meet fairly regularly at the Horse & Jockey in Sutton for a few beers and a chat, there is one this Thursday coming IIRC (See Events).

Mark

Hi Mark, would love to see your car. If you would like to PM me I will send you my mobile number, perhaps you'd like a look at the car I'm building.

I'll see what i'm doing Thurs.

David

Welcome to MLOC

hopefully we will see you at Chatsworth in your Elise

as Dean has said you don't need all the power in the lighter early Elise, 120 will give you plenty of satisfying big grin moments

TBH don't think there is a wrong colour for an Elise they look good in any and is really down to individual taste, good history and servicing with low mileage IMO

Welcome,

Why an early s2 rather than s1, just personal preference or something else?

Wil it be a daily driver, a weekend toy/keeper or track day machine

I have to say if you are think weekend toy/keeper on a budget then a s1 or early s2 are the way to go as both are basic and able to be worked on from home (no air con issues, abs, less electrical gremlins etc.)

I have had my s1 (118bhp version) for 12 years, as dean said, that is plenty quick enough but if you do, as time goes on, want a bit more you can get it at reasonable cost, when the hgf comes send the head off for a port or even big valve conversion, or stick some cams in. It will no doubt already have a stainless exhaust so will sound the part but also fitting a 4-2-1 manifold helps a bit (mine has big valve head, 4-2-1, decat, back box, ITG filter and now giving 150bhp)

Re colour, do not restrict yourself, Ido not recall seeing many early s2's in orange, they tend to be Toyota engined cars, but if you do want one in a bright colour buy one with less than perfect paint (reflected in the cost) and get it resprayed, (when I bought mine the garage were going to have it painted as it had been key's and had loads of stone chips, we did a deal based on the paint as was and the saving went towards the first colour change)

Dennis makes a fair point about s1s. They are great and are already starting to appreciate - certainly the low mileage ones. I preferred the look of the s2 although now I don't think there is much in it, but as I use my car a lot I needed the much improved roof on the s2.

I'd lean towards a 111R next in a dark colour. I love the cam change, cracking engine great to live with. Saying that my S1 (seems still odd saying that) is a hoot and lovely to drive so I'd be inclined if going K grabbing a Sport 160, patience is a virtue when buy special & an investment.

Archived