Midlands Lotus Owners Club (MLOC)

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jimlemans

New Exhaust Set Up - Audition

10 posts in this topic

Is anyone running an S2 K-series elise with Hurricane/de-cat and either Larini Club Sport or EliseParts exhaust.

I'm finally getting round to changing the standard set-up in exchange for pops and bangs now its no longer my daily drive.

I'd love to hear the sound of both in the flesh or any comments from people who may have had something similar in the past.

Cheers, Jim

Hi

I had a S2 111S with a hurricane and Larini clubsport and I really miss the sound to be honest! It was really throaty and deep.

I have a stock Exige 240S and sound wise is so quiet and lackluster in comparison. I strongly recommend the hurricane/Larini combination!!! Also as a point of interest the dbA was only around 95 so never had any problems on track.

I'm now running an S2 111S with Hurricane and Janspeed Roadsport, Stock manifold and Cat.

Its not crazy loud and pretty quite at tick over but the noise is there when you want it, its quite a deep sound also, very different to the Larini.

A guy on Seloc made some good videos as he's just gone from a Janspeed to Larini....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDq6wBmyfLA&feature=player_embedded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvhlse9lMi4&feature=player_embedded

Thanks I'll check the videos out when I get home. I sort of feel that if I'm going to the expense of changing it I might as well go for it and wake the neighbours up on a weekend - somewhere close to the Aventador that I was following (briefly) on the weekend.

jim I have an open K&N filter and a Hangar111 superlight exhaust with standard cat. It is plenty loud enough really, and sounds nice and not at all droney. It has also been known to chuck out the odd flame on track days!

Saves a load of weight from the place it most needs it too so helps handling.

Thanks Meister thats good to know! Were you running that with the standard cat? If so did you get any popping on over-run?

Yes was running with the standard cat. Occasionally, I got popping, but it was only occasionally!

jim I have an open K&N filter and a Hangar111 superlight exhaust with standard cat. It is plenty loud enough really, and sounds nice and not at all droney. It has also been known to chuck out the odd flame on track days!

Saves a load of weight from the place it most needs it too so helps handling.

Your exhaust sounded really nice dean when I followed you at the end if the breakfast run.

I saw some purple flames at blyton :-$

• Similar Content

• By insanity
      Hi All,

The heat shield on my 111R has started to fall apart, behind this (rear n/s):

This is what it looks like from behind the rear wheel:

It looks like you can buy the sections here: http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=5782&MAK=1&MDL=11&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

Items 5, 6 and 31 I think.

However, they cost around 50quid each! Ouch! Does anyone have them spare, following an exhaust upgrade or something they would like to sell on?!

Also, how easy is it to replace? I can't see how you can get to it, maybe remove the rear wheel?

Thanks,

Baz
    • By worldwidewebs
      Has anyone done a comparison between an S2 k-series manifold and an aftermarket 421?

I've got a 2bular 421 on my S1 111S which has given much improved torque over the standard item. The only downside is that I'm sure it's quite a bit noisier than before, but as it was fitted so long ago I can't remember what it was like! I think a lot of the change in sound is probably down to the change in material, from a cast item to tubular stainless. It may not be noisier, just more metallic, if that makes sense.

I've been on a bit of a mission recently to try and reduce noise volumes in the car - it's an age thing I'm pretty sure! So far I've added carpet, put the std airbox back on and fitted a quieter silencer and it has made the car so much more enjoyable (for me) without really taking anything away. The next thing on my list to look at is the manifold.

I've read a few posts over the years that suggest there are two potential improvements that could be made to an S1 on the exhaust side whilst staying pretty standard. The first is to grind out the clag in the standard S1 manifold, the second is to fit the S2 manifold and link pipe.

So, am I right in saying that the standard cast items are quieter than a stainless system? Also, would a cleaned up standard S1 or S2 system be that much different in performance terms to the 421 on an otherwise standard VVC S1?