litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Thatcham Cat 5 Tracking Systems

chris_h

My insurance company is insisting that my new evora has a category 5 tracking system fitted. Has anyone got any personal experience of these systems. There seems to be about 6 on the market all about the same price (fitting about £600 and £100 a year).

Cat 5 systems require a driver ID fob (separate to your keys that seem a bit of a pain) that if not present when the car is started calls a call centre, they can then remotely stop the car being started again once the car stops and the gps tracking tells the police where it is. Seems a recipe for disaster to me playing with the ignition wiring etc!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a thatcham 1 alarm connected with a tracker/monitor, fitted to one of the cars on my fleet.

It is a real paint when the tracking company ring me to say the alarm has gone off as someone has forgotten to do something prior to starting/set the alarm off etc.

This sounds terrible where do you keep the id thing, in your wallet that you left at home????

That really does sound like an annoyance waiting to piss you off! Who's your insurance company Chris?

I can see it now.... "Sir, it appears someone is ragging your car around Donnington Park, but it's ok, they won't be able to start it for the next session....!"

We've just had this happen to our work policy. We just swapped an XJ for an XF and they wanted a CAT 5 tracker!!?? Asked why and it turned out there should have been one on the XJ and my Merc!! Anyway the reason they gave was the policy was based on a new replacement if the car was ever stolen or total write regardless of age. We have now spoken to them and had it changed to a "traditional" type of policy and it is no longer required. S headache over, I suggest talking to them to see if it is the same.

Mark

To be fair axa have been very good to us over the last few years and as a pretty big fleet policy the standard price per car and any driver cover (including the evora) is very good, so i don't mind the cost of the tracker, just really after any personal experiance of the fobs for the different products on the market.

I had a Cobra tracker OEM on my Porsche GT3, it was Cat 5 and had a little fob you had to keep with you all the time when driving the car.

The last owner attached it to his key (not the best idea!), I had it in my wallet although it was a little chunky so wasn't credit card slim :(

The system actually is very good, the service from Cobra also excellent. I know this because Sarah and I caused soo many false alarms forgetting the fob when popping out for a drive ;)

So good system but slightly frustrating now and again lol

How much are extra fobs, I would probably have one in my wallet and one on my house keys.

Re AXA I had a big fall out with them when they insured the Elise. I told them about the custom flip paint, they said it did not matter, I then crashed it and they did not want to pay for the cost of a full resprayed, they tried to hold me to ransom insisting it went to their repairer 100+ miles away who ,would be able to do it',' the garage had not seen the car and clearly had no idea if they could match the paint (they did not know the technique used to create the effect) when I pointed it out AXA just said if they can't match it they will just paint it all (so different from the existing custom finish). I clearly was not happy I got a pro forma invoice with all the bits needed to fix it, AXA then said it was unreasonable listing all the bolts/fasteners required, I asked if they do not pay for these who will.

I ended up paying for it and got the car back on the road 7 months later, I then told AXA reimburse me the cost or I will sue them for the repair cost + 7 months loss f use at £15 a day. They paid up 10 months post accident!!!

I do wonder what others less knowledgable re insurance would have let AXA get away with

Archived