litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

How Long Before You Can't Tell A Game Isn't Real?

P4N Lotus

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forza is incredibly life like if you are driving a TVR you the game won't let you do more than 3 laps (or something like that) or 1 long lap, how the heck can it call itself a race simulator with this kind of restriction???

Because of that I will not buy forza and will be going ps4)

PS4....Battlefield....Nuff said. Don't do driving games purely because you won't experience the braking, inertia etc unless you have a top of the range simulator costing thousands, but Battlefield on the other hand :-)

Screen shots look nice though ;-)

To be honest, all modern driving games look great with the external views. However, its the actual experience of driving from the in car view that really sets the men from the boys.

Console games are not the best place to play these types of games... you need a PC with a decent wheel setup to get the most from driving games. Yes it is fairly pricey, but probably not as expensive as one track day with a new set of rubber and brakes afterwards (that's not even taking into account of the possibility of damaging the car).

Personally, I treat my physical Exige as if it was Jennifer Aniston and my virtual Exige as if it was Sunny Leone

So if someone wanted to set themselves up with a decent PC and wheel set up etc what would you advise to go for?

I'm getting tempted by it all again as people keep saying things have really moved on since 10 years ago when I last used to use the driving games. And just as you mention I have been told to go for a PC with a decent set up rather than a console. but I am unsure where to go fromt here to get the best experience.

Thanks

iRacing, nothing else comes even close.

Some look slightly better, but iRacing is the only 'game' that is anything like real life.

What do you play it on and what controls do you use?

Just had a read through the iRacing site, it looks good and relatively easy to get started - just a feedback wheel and pedals needed, and almost any relatively recent PC will run it.

Does it really give the driving sensation anywhere near to that which you get on track. I am struggling to imagine you can really ascertain cornering speeds and grip limits through corners on a computer? (but then I am gettting old and am basing this on my 10 year old experience of motor racing games).

I think Danwebster was a bit vauge on his post. If you want to play against other "real" people online then iracing is the best choice. However, there are other games that do other things better (graphics for one)

To answer your question, you can play most games on most modern PC's. However, the experience will be fairly detatched from real life. The more you spend on the PC, screens and the controls the more the experience will be. Even just by having a basic custom made car type cockpit gives you far more realism than having a wheel bolted to the kitchen table.

To give an example, I must have spent close to £2k on my setup (in bits and bobs over the years)... and it gives a pretty damn real experience... probably the most realistic you can get without bringing physical movement into play.

Take a look at this post....

http://www.midlandslotus.co.uk/forum/topic/62439-gran-turismo-6/#entry259703

Ok i'll elaborate...

I've played them all extensively, all the way from the original Grand Prix by Geoff Crammond to Assetto Corsa and rFactor2. I haven't tried project cars yet so I can't comment on that, but of every other racing simulation i've tried iRacing is the closest thing to replicating actual driving dynamics.

rFactor comes pretty close but to me doesn't feel as reaslistic to play. Assetto Corsa is nice to look at but still has a long way to go in terms of dynamics in my opinion.

iRacing is online only, although you can practice off line to your hearts content. Its not the kind of thing you can just dip in and out of though, it takes a fair bit of practice to get seriously quick. Unfortunately I don't have the time to be a front runner as I do only dip into it, but when I do i'm generally within a second of the front runners pace within a handful of laps, it then takes me a few hours of practice to shave the tenths off. I've won a fair few races but its not easy at all.

I have a pretty quick PC hooked up to a 40" tv and play with a G27 with all the graphics turned to full on iracing and I think it looks pretty stunning.

This is a little clip I did about a year ago of me having a play in a V8 supercar.

Thanks chaps and thanks for the in depth reply and video Dan.

As I watch that video I get a very simple appreciation of how the car drives, however to me sat here I have no appreciation of when the understeer or oversteer is happening other than seeing the correction of the wheel and the slight change of car angle. When playing the game do you get more feedback through the wheel or such like, that acts as a car would. Or is it all about finding out how fast/slow you need to go through a corner or complex by visually seeing what the car is doing rather than also being able to 'feel' the change of grip etc?

PS4....Battlefield....Nuff said. Don't do driving games purely because you won't experience the braking, inertia etc unless you have a top of the range simulator costing thousands, but Battlefield on the other hand :-)

Somehow, I don't think firing a AR-15, M249, etc, on Battlefield will be quite the same as firing the weapon systems for real either. ;)

E. :D

Archived