litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Selling A Private Plate

Chris_edeson

Hi all

Just bought a new car and it came with a private plate. I got it valued at £400 so im going to sell it as it means nothing to me and £400 is always handy.

Any1 sold 1 before and are there any of these private reg firms that pay upfront when selling to them?

The people who valued it said they would sell on my behalf and id get the money when it sold but that could be ages?!

My parents sold theirs to exactly some1 what im looking for but old age has set in and the cant remember the details as a few years ago now!

Iv never had one before so all advice appreciated!

In case any1 here wants one its

N16 AMF

Thanks in advance

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked into this and after fee's decided it wasn't worth the hassle. Left D7GBO on the Alfa when we sold it, was tempted to put it in the Elise but it meant nothing to me and would of cost about £80 to transfer.

The £400 quoted was a net figure id get if/when it sells, so they will lump the fees/their cut on top to the buyer! Im happy to try these people but obvs if theres any1 out there paying upfront just wanted to explore my options!

You need to put it on retention and then just flog it yourself.

I did the same and sold it on pistonheads... Should be a section on your v5 I think... Fill it out and send the form off to the dvla. You used to be able to do it at the local dvla but alas, they now don't exist..

Usually takes about 2/3 weeks... Dead easy, although it all depends if someone is after that plate to whether it sells or not. My exige plate took a week....

If you sell the plate on, don't you still have to pay £80 to re-register with a new reg?

Or you could just have had a cr4ppy car which cost £250, then have someone offer you £350 to buy the plate. clap.gif SPW33W on my Renault 5 GT (NA) I had when I was 17. Orange velour seats, chunky alloys and a diagonal gear box. At least it wasn't dull. It got replaced with a Metro. Which was.

I have a plate I could sell (A16 DPA). Been on 2 sites for 4-5 weeks and nothing yet. Valued at £400 do I put it on for £300 hoping to sell quicker. Now decided it will likely sit there for a year+ and I have to spend £105 to keep it on retention, so not worth it really.

Archived