litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

More Mods.......aim Dash In Honda Powered S2

Dr H

Right, this has taken ages to sort out so here's a quick summary:

Buy an AIM MXL Strada dash with Road graphics and a Hondata ECU bridge

13901674113_0b0ba9e02a.jpg

Connect a single wire from pin E24 of the Hondata ECU (PRB version) and run it up to the dash area of the car.

Fit AIM oil pressure and oit temp senders in place of current ones.

Call John Shorrocks at JSR and get him to make up a converter loom from the Stack plug to the AIM plug. Get John to come and fit the dash, calibrate the fuel level sender and sort out the indicators etc.

I then mounted the dash in a laser cut aluminium surrond covered in CF vinyl. The dash has lots of warning lights for stuff but it doesn't have handbrake, MIL or fog light. So I got got the surround cut to take these, got LEDs and cut the required masks from a dash from a Renault Clio to give this:

12242297684_4915707c03_c.jpg

I then modified the plastic binnacle cover by using a heat gun and reshaping it to make the opening slightly bigger.

13902037214_0df8711a00.jpg

When fitted, no matter what I did I couldn't get the dash placed so I could see the shift lights at the top AND the warning lights at the bottom. So back to the drawing board.....

Decided the only way was to get the missing 3 dash lights into a small 'pod'. Enlisted the help of a very kind chap on SELOC (mark Hemingway) to turn my crap sketch into a 3D CAD model. Send it away to Shapeways and get this back for £13

13901402315_6383f548cf.jpg

Insert 3 LEDs from the back:

13901423745_90d89becd2.jpg

Connect wires to connector for loom to connect into Stack plug and mount on top off lower dash cover.

13902025874_23ea9b7bcd.jpg

Then add masks again

13901538513_3d32ebd48f.jpg

and bolt everything together in an unmodified binnacle, apart from the metal at the back which needs to be cut away slightly like this

13901511113_1061f17dc2.jpg

Now I can see the shift lights AND the three warning lights

13901524933_4265810e2c.jpg

All works great. Displays any of the data channels form the ECU. USB connects to the dash to make changes to the configuration. Had to compensate the ECU speed signal to deal with the different sizes of wheels on the S2 v the Civic Type R. Now it matched a GPS speed reading exactly.

Short video of the working. The warning lights in the pod look super-bright on this video but in real life they are fine.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As usual Leigh very well thought out and executed mod.

i still have not reinstalled my hazard warning button

Thanks Sheldon.

I will have my modded centre tunnel up for grabs soon. I'm redoing a new one to make a better job of the brake bias valve. It's covered in black leather but might need recovering as I butchered it a bit when doing my brake bias valve. I would help with the hazard switch move.

Always loved the idea of doing this, and now I've seen it done.....

.... I just want it more and more!

Lovely mod!

Thanks Sheldon.

I will have my modded centre tunnel up for grabs soon. I'm redoing a new one to make a better job of the brake bias valve. It's covered in black leather but might need recovering as I butchered it a bit when doing my brake bias valve. I would help with the hazard switch move.

Absolutly brilliant mate you know how much i like buying things off you ;-)

Always loved the idea of doing this, and now I've seen it done.....

.... I just want it more and more!

Lovely mod!

Well if anyone is interested in doing it I can supply the laser cut surround, the light pod and the bracket needed to mount the dash into the binnacle.

The Hondata ECU link made it much simpler than it would have been otherwise.

I think they might do an ECU link for the Yota engine too, or perhaps it just uses the CAN system on the car.

Absolutly brilliant mate you know how much i like buying things off you ;-)

I'll drop you a line when it's sorted!

I am slowly putting together a spec list for my ideal Honda Elise build in the future and I think 90% of the list will be bits from your car! Along with Matt C's and Dans smile.png

Looks really good mate!

I am slowly putting together a spec list for my ideal Honda Elise build in the future and I think 90% of the list will be bits from your car! Along with Matt C's and Dans smile.png

Looks really good mate!

You know me Miles........can't do things by halves!

One other thing I need to sort out. I realised the other day that the 'lights left on' buzzer is in the Stack dash. I worked this out because I left the side lights on all day! Luckily the car has a very strong battery. However, pins for plug received and 12v mini buzzer ordered so it should all be sorted by the end of next week.

Archived