litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Insurance Quote Shock

nordberg

Just got a quote from Footman James of £719 for my S1 lotus elise. That is £100 excess, limited to 5000 miles a year insured for £12k. This seems quite steep to me. I lost 3 points for speeding 8 months ago (although this seems to still be an issue as far as insurance is concerned), and i have one claim after a police car ran me into a brick wall whilst on blue lights (I'm not bitter...honest). Never paid over £500 for my lotus insurance in the past so i can't get my head round this premium.

Can anybody recommend an alternative to FJ?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cci are great , discount for being a mloc member I am paying £330 for s1 sport 160 insured for 15k 5000 miles pa

I'll give them a call.

Just called Adrian Flux and its £643 with a £300 excess :(

cci are great , discount for being a mloc member I am paying £330 for s1 sport 160 insured for 15k 5000 miles pa

Is that agreed value as I thought FJ's max mileage on agreed value was 4,000 miles?

I don't think the mileage is going to be a real issue as its just a fair weather car. i get to work on my Scooter and have another car i can use. Thanks for all the pointers guys. I am going to get on the blower now :)

I ended up going with Zurich based on 5k per year for my S2 111s I ended up paying £325 which I thought was pretty good considering Im 31 and had an accident last year which whilst not major did result in new front and rear clams.

Andy, try Manning on there classic car policy if you can stay at 5K miles per year.

I have just had a quote from Manning of £348, agreed value at £12,000, 5k miles a year. After my first two quotes I am pretty chuffed with this price wink.png Going to go with them and get it insured next week. This is going to be the first stage to getting my car back on the road.

PS. I haven't looked around at the prices of S1 Elises latley. I would say my car is in pretty good nick. The car has approx 34k on the clock (although the engine has done less than that due to being replaced a couple of years ago). Is £12k about right based on this information. On the same note, where could I take the car to get the car valued?

Thanks in advance for any advice wink.png

Martin,

He did mention track days. I think the excess changes if you have an accident in the car though. Think from memory you can spend 40 odd days abroad as well. Pretty happy with it so thanks for the pointers. Just need a new battery, some fuel and some kind soul to lend me a cat so I can get it through the MOT.

Think my wife's MG Midget may have to take a back seat for the next month or so while I get it sorted sad.png

Archived