litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Just Booked Car Limits Day!

marky_p72

After reading lots of positive comments about this, I have taken the plunge and booked on for 9th April. There's already another Elise booked on.

Was initially thinking I'd just do the £49 activity day, but then thought I'd get so much more out of this.

Will hopefully put me in a better position for my 1st track day on 9th June at Bedford.

Live for today!!

Mark

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Cambridge, I go down the M11. You can go down e.g. the A10, but it's a) slow, and B) still quite dull. It'd be hard to find a worthwhile route. Go the easy way and keep your concentration for the games Andy gives you to play. You might choose the back roads on the way home (I did once), but you may well be knackered. Don't forget to fill up before you get there. You'll need plenty of fuel for the day and the nearest place is right by the motorway, so leave time on your way down to have a splash-and-dash on the way.

You're right. I'll just get my ar$e down there for a fuel topup and a fresh start.

What about tyre pressures? I have read on CL website about pressures being ok in cars like the Elise, but just wondering. I initially found mine a bit low so have up'd to 26 fronts and 29 rears, which has made the front feel less 'sloshy' (is that a word??!!) Am a bit worried about trashing the tyres, so maybe add a bit more??

Thanks again

Mark

You're right. I'll just get my ar$e down there for a fuel topup and a fresh start.

What about tyre pressures? I have read on CL website about pressures being ok in cars like the Elise, but just wondering. I initially found mine a bit low so have up'd to 26 fronts and 29 rears, which has made the front feel less 'sloshy' (is that a word??!!) Am a bit worried about trashing the tyres, so maybe add a bit more??

Thanks again

Mark

Mark I ran my 111r at 24 to 26 rear and 20 to 22 front while road driving.

Due to the weight of the Elise your tyre pressures should be lower than a standard car. Most hot hatches have pressures around 28 to 32 psi.

I'd personally say you have them set too high.

Also your tyre pressures will rise while in use on track.

Hope this helps

Alex

Ok, good info. I just thought it felt a bit squishy (another new word!!??) when cornering hard.

I will try dropping them down a bit before next outing.

I suspect I will find out at Car limits that my definition of 'cornering hard' may be a bit off !!!

Thanks again

Mark

Just set your tire pressure to what it says in the manual, which is the right pressure to protect the sidewalls. A lot of people complain of uneven tire wear at the standard pressure, but that's only during road use.

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

I just thought I'd update this thread to say I did Car limits couple of weeks ago now. It was great fun. Walshy was unable to take the day, (although he was there) so a chap called Mark Robbins took the day instead. I can't compare him to Andrew, but he was brilliant! One of the chaps on the day had an issue with his car (not a Lotus!!) and had to retire (around 11am), so the day became a 3 driver day instead of 4 !! It was a shame for the other guy, but great for us! Walshy was brilliant about it and said he could just rearrange another day, so all was not lost for him.

I now realise there is no substitute for handling a spin apart from actually doing it in this environment! That feeling when the car lost traction was both scary and exciting!! I am now subconsciously driving with more confidence knowing how that loss of traction point feels - even when out in my GF's mini + my work VW Caddy van!

Highly recommended!!

Mark

Hi Mark

Sounds like you had a good time.

Regarding he earlier retirement - on all 3 carlimits days I've done, someone has to retire early, or spends half the day faffing with anti roll bars or brake bias - normally the guy with a 'racing car', but doesn't know anything about setting it up. Or the guys in the hot hatches, who have to stop because their tire sidewalls are about to go into melt down.

The lotus, though, just takes it in its stide. If you drive a car that's been developed on an airfield - surprise - it copes well with an airfield!

Cheers

Dan

Hi again,

I just thought I'd update this thread to say I did Car limits couple of weeks ago now. It was great fun. Walshy was unable to take the day, (although he was there) so a chap called Mark Robbins took the day instead. I can't compare him to Andrew, but he was brilliant! One of the chaps on the day had an issue with his car (not a Lotus!!) and had to retire (around 11am), so the day became a 3 driver day instead of 4 !! It was a shame for the other guy, but great for us! Walshy was brilliant about it and said he could just rearrange another day, so all was not lost for him.

I now realise there is no substitute for handling a spin apart from actually doing it in this environment! That feeling when the car lost traction was both scary and exciting!! I am now subconsciously driving with more confidence knowing how that loss of traction point feels - even when out in my GF's mini + my work VW Caddy van!

Highly recommended!!

Mark

Hi Mark

I am in need of something like this I believe. I am considering doing one these if I can get out of a meeting in a week or so's time. Did you get plenty of time to practise handling spins etc or was it mostly classroom/theory stuff?

Also do you think a two person day would be worth the extra money?

Thanks.

Archived