litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Gear Linkage Overhaul.

Simon Mac

Installed an EP gear linkage kit and quickshifter today.

The 'box was the biggest niggle with the car, and one that I really needed to sort. I have to say it is sooo much better!

I wouldn't say it's perfect yet as the crossgate is still pretty stiff, but I suspect it might have something to do with the rear boot being perished and letting water into the cable. I've packed the split boot with tonnes of grease, and it is loosening up with use, but obviously this isn't an ideal long term fix.

Any ideas if this is a replaceable part? and if so where to get one?

TIA

Si

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My gearchange was very poor - moving across the gate was very stiff. Previously it only became stiff when the car had been driven for a long time and was hot, but then it became stiff all the time.

I was told the problem was caused by a bell crank pivot bolt so I asked Gav at Unit4 in Burton to take it out, clean and re-fit it along with a set of poly bushes (from a member on here). It has completely solved the problem. The change is better than it has ever been in 3 1/2 years of owning the car.

I used these nylatron bushes (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/nylatron-gear-linkage-bush-kit-for-lotus-elise-exige-/131143388390?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e88c14ce6) but only replaced the cable ends - as I'm honda'd.

Can you use some bonding silicon tape to seal the rubber boot? I'm not sure how easy the cable ends come off - if they do, ask Phil/ aka Junks on seloc if he has any old cables he can take the boot off.

Archived