litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Loosing Oil And Smoke......

John FISH Curtis

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My previous engine used to burn 1litre / 1000miles. Apparently that's acceptable, say Rover.

On the plus side, as Russ says, you're getting a labour-free oil change. I used to do it every year until I realised that all the oil in there was less than 5k miles old. As long as you change the filter as often as you should and have a spare litre with you, there's little point in doing anything about it UNLESS this is a sudden change. Have you done something to it recently or got any new noises ?

Car has been loosing oil, needing topping up after every run, this started last year.

Engine has not been used since October, sat in the garage on axle stands on a battery conditioner.

Dipstick registered just below MAX on Sunday, started car, ticked over for 5/10min (rad didn't get hot), blipped the throttle on the TB a few times after choke had gone to be greeted with some smoke.

Checked oil level today, about 3/4 full !!

Taking plugs out this weekend to check. No sign of oil leaks from underneath as the under trays have been fitted since garaged. Totally no sign of HGF.

John, check the obvious. Oil filter tight, also check its not weeping from the oil pump crank seal. If it is you will see a drip from the back of the crank pulley. Are you sure its not water vapour ( the smoke ) Inlet plenum gasket? or from the exhaust as its been stood a while. If all the oils drained out the head etc as its not been used it will drop on the dipstick. The head must hold half a litre as i have tipped it all over my garage floor before now :) Good luck

Archived