litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

K Series Engine Build

DeanB

Hi Dean,

Kiwirog quotes 175-180 bhp can be achieved on a plenum but I think you'd need some pretty aggressive cams to get there. From my limited experience to date, the thing you need to consider is how much day to day driveability you are prepared to sacrifice in the quest for ultimate power? Mine only has mild phase 2 cams, it goes well but currently it's not as pleasant to drive through traffic as it used to be. To that end I am booked in at Emerald in 2 weeks time to let Dave work some magic....hopefully! I'll let you know how I get on.

If you fit an Emerald you won't need a FPR (Rog did me a good price on my Emerald by the way).

You'll need to budget about £400 for the mapping to be done at Emerald's rolling road.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil i had mine mapped at emerald and it made it a feel like a different car much more torque lower down. Not cheap but money well spent

Thanks Sheldon, that's what I'm hoping for thumbs_up.gif

The seloc thread Sheldon posted up the link to was very interesting - the KRB head with phase 2 Newmans and DTH throttle bodies - 189 horses was it but with loads of torque from low down. What an engine that is - but I can't run to throttle bodies really. Maybe if I could build something sensible now that would suit the addition of throttle bodies at a later date.

The seloc thread Sheldon posted up the link to was very interesting - the KRB head with phase 2 Newmans and DTH throttle bodies - 189 horses was it but with loads of torque from low down. What an engine that is - but I can't run to throttle bodies really. Maybe if I could build something sensible now that would suit the addition of throttle bodies at a later date.

That's my plan Dean build the best engine I can on a plenum, with a view to throttle bodies at a later date.

Have a chat to Kiwi Rog at sabre heads, but beware he can talk the hind legs off a donkey

Great to see people wanting to stay with the K. Such a great little engine and gives so much character to the Elise.

I would look at what spec you want to achieve then plan backwards in steps. This way you wont waste any unnecessary funds.

I would hate to get rid of the K. I love the way my car handles -it's so much easier to hold on to the back end with a light engine and box.

Mmm. God knows what I'd be like with a Honda then !!!!

I was getting tempted to put a Honda in but then I thought I was being stupid. My problem is not lack of power but a lack of talent and poor car setup. I think I need to invest some money in some training and getting new tyres/geo. I need to get out to some breakfast runs to spend some time in the car.

I think you also need to look at what type of tracks you want to do. A standard K series car is fine at Blyton or Cadwell, but at faster tracks, it would struggle to keep up with jap powered Elises.

A well setup Elise with a K series running 180 - 200 brake, has got to be the way forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've got 165 out of my std S1 1.8 with a DVA k13a kit. It's tractable and pulls well at the top end. It's also running the plastic plenum which DVA reckons will flow fine up to 189bhp. Bonus is also it weighs a damn site less than the ali plenum. So with a vvc head, some decent cams you should easily get there. Some of the Elise trophy guys had std vvc engines with no cat and a good induction and exhaust were bang on the limit of 170. So even without cams or pulling the engine apart. Have a chat with DVA too. Top bloke, and I trust him. Stu

Oh and your more than welcome to try mine.

Archived