litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Carbone Lorraine Cl5+ Versus Mintex 1144

DeanB

Im suprised anyone puts up with rattling pads. A bit of the buffer material has always sorted it for me. You only need one strip per pad. I think it goes on the top either side? Feel free to correct this if my old memory is playing up :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have CLs on the Exige front and back. They rattle like hell on the front but its a price worth paying for such consistent, progressive and huge stopping power.

I always make sure the discs and pads are dried out after getting wet, so had no probs with moisture absortion either.

Car does get pampered though and doesn't even know that salt exists, never mind ice and snow!!

It is not just making sure they are dry, but that they are rinsed off with clean water to get any road salt off. Sorry to bleat on, but an exploding pad whilst heading to a hairpin in the wet on track is not something I would wish on anyone!

Totally agree with the reviews of their performance though, they really would feel like they were pulling your face through your visor - really impressed me when they're nice and hot.

Like Martin, the anti-rattle pads worked ok for me - I couldn't put up with the rattle doing so many miles.

Im suprised anyone puts up with rattling pads. A bit of the buffer material has always sorted it for me. You only need one strip per pad. I think it goes on the top either side? Feel free to correct this if my old memory is playing up smile.png

I'm hoping the stuff I bought will work buck looking at the thickness of it and the amount of fore and aft movement my pads have in the calipers I'm not betting on it!

Leigh, sorry if you are aware of this but it goes along the top edge of the caliper above the piston? They rattle when cold as they are high performance so are expected to expand due to the heat. I know you have different calipers in 4 pot but the anti rattle buffers are quite thick?

Edit This explains it

http://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/23/13/anti-rattle-brake-buffers/

Sorry if you already knew this but its not that obvious IMO

Cheers Martin.

That's exactly what I plan to do but they do seem to be very small! I've got the buffer stuff, just need to find the time to try and fit them and see if it works.

My old 2 pots has some of these buffers on the front edge.

From my experience I would only fit the anti-rattle strips on the bottom edges of the calipers (as shown by the red arrows in the photos on the Eliseparts link). If you fit them on the top edges as well then I found that over time the brake pads (which are forced upwards under braking) will wear a groove into the anti rattle strip. As the brake pad thickness then continues to wear this groove starts to restrict the top of the pad from moving towards the disc, resulting in less effective braking and uneven pad wear.

If the pads are really rattly within the caliper then I would fit 2 strips on bottom edges instead.

From my experience I would only fit the anti-rattle strips on the bottom edges of the calipers (as shown by the red arrows in the photos on the Eliseparts link). If you fit them on the top edges as well then I found that over time the brake pads (which are forced upwards under braking) will wear a groove into the anti rattle strip. As the brake pad thickness then continues to wear this groove starts to restrict the top of the pad from moving towards the disc, resulting in less effective braking and uneven pad wear.

If the pads are really rattly within the caliper then I would fit 2 strips on bottom edges instead.

Good post Phil, i have never needed to fit 2 strips :)

Dan, i will be interested on your thoughts on disc wear on the CL6? Have you put them all round or just the front?

All round Martin, they've only been in a few days but I can see them wearing the discs already....the stopping power is outrageous though so I can live with the wear.

Archived