litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Mloc Gardeners 2014

Steve J

So this weekend comprised of planting veg seeds and preparing the plots.

Can't believe how much I'm trying to grow this year so may even be getting an allotment in the village for more space.

What's everyone else growing this year?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not got anything on the go ourselves yet, but we never go short with Ruth's parents...her dad grows just about everything so we've always got plenty.

...and when summer comes and the fruit's all in season even better!

Can't beat home grown it's so much nicer! yum yum!

What have you planted then Steve?

Dug in the compost last weekend.

Just doing Pea, Beans and French beans this year. Not doing any bedding plant this year either as we are away for 3 weeks in one go and can't put that on neighbours to water all the pots, baskets etc for that long.

I have given up on spuds, carrots and onions, just never seem to be able to get a good crop, but do really well with peas and beans.

What a fantastic gardening day today, have done lawns, cut out and clipped back bushes, real satisfying work.

What's in already is

Garlic

Dwarf broad beans

Early potato

Parsnips

Carrots

What's in trays ready for planting out next month.

Radish

Cabbage

Black kale

Peas

Broad beans

Celariac

Celery

Leek

Sweetcorn

French beans

Shallots

Onions

Beetroot

Tomato

Chilli

Should feed us ok.

I don't do much beside the digging but my girlfriend has been lining various seedlings up in trays all around out makeshift greenhouse (which is meant to be my conservatory!) Think she's trying to grow exotic edible stuff this year, i can't even pronounce some of the things she's got seeds for :s

I will mainly be leaving plants to do their own thing and mowing the lawn. At some point my neighbours will tell me another one of my shrubs has died and I will dig it up. I have edible things too, but mainly because my neighbours are all retired and far more green fingered than me.

On the subject of gardening. Im off work this week so made a start in the garden. Getting it ready for this year and removing a few Parsnips from last year. Now this is what i call a Parsnip

P1010001_zps7e33c0ac.jpg

18 inches long and 5 inches in diameter. You know you are getting old when you realise you have turned into your Father smile.png

We've got an old wooden, silk lined, wine bottle presentation case (held about 1/2 dozen bottles) that I was going to take to the tip a few weeks ago. At the last minute Mrs L realised it would make an excellent potato chitting tray. It's now in the conservatory full of nicely sprouting potatoes getting ready to go into the trenches we dug at the weekend.

We've also got garlic & onions planted out, and trays of leak, pepper & chili seeds in the conservatory coming along nicely.

The rest will get sown in a couple of weeks when the ground's warmed up a bit.

We had so much produce last year that we acquired a second freezer. Still having stewed raspberries, blackberries and rhubarb on my cereal in the mornings that we froze last year.

Archived