litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Every Good Story Has To End......

Chris_edeson

So... after the ups and downs of Lotus ownership.

The years of fun officially ended today. The sinking feeling and slight tear to the eye as it became a reality that i as of today no longer own one of Mr Chapmans finest.

I thought i would share my Lotus past with you all, in way of appreciation what an EPIC club this is. I have made friends like you wouldn't expect to on something like this. The helpfulness and goodwill of fellow MLOC'ers was something i didn't expect as part of ownership.

Euro trips, brekky runs, Chatsworth, Wales, G&Laura's Wedding to name a few. It has been great.

All this considering my 1st experience in my dream car as a 25 year old new owner was HELL!!

This car was awful. sometimes they say you should never meet your hero as you may end up hating them.

Well in this case i did......

post-3645-0-80068000-1393957510_thumb.jpeg

This car caused me nothing but trouble. numerous break downs, left stranded in car parks, city centers anywhere round Leicester i broke down there. Really put me off Lotus and as i used it every day the love wore off and i sold it. ended up getting a diesel golf with the reg plate letters "PUF"

That lasted 3 months before this happened

post-3645-0-70021300-1393957631_thumb.jpeg

I gave it another chance and the fun really began and this car was what i expected a Lotus to be.

This beauty was kept standard apart from putting in a harnesses, uprated pads and a stage 1 exhaust. Did my 1st trackdays in it, Blyton, Donnington and Le Mans euro trip.

being easily led astray my next car followed..... putting a lotus dealer outside the football ground i have a season ticket at.... it was bound to happen

post-3645-0-79712200-1393957799_thumb.jpeg

The baby blue club racer = beautiful. A 1.8 model so as much fun in a really great color scheme. It came with a Christopher Neil Exhaust on and was very loud and popped loads... neighbours loved me leaving for work at 6am with that :-)

Lastly and by no means least, the best car i have EVER owned.

My 2008 58 reg Exige 240s Touring & Performance.

Words cannot explain how much i always wanted this car.

As some of you know, i got an amazing new work opportunity last year and that meant i could luckily afford one. Timing wasn't best if i am honest, as i bought it in July last year fully knowing i would leaving for Australia this year. But hey ho.... sensible chris left the building for a few days and the Exige was mine

post-3645-0-84452600-1393958032_thumb.jpeg

Standard car, apart from a beaut sounding 2bular exhaust.

This car also did the Le Mans euro trip and also made an appearance on Top Gear.......

post-3645-0-25076200-1393958189_thumb.jpeg

But today, the phone call came from JCT600 Leeds to say they had collected the car and settled my finance. It seemed a bit surreal and i had a sad moment at my desk when reality hit!! Its gone.

Sorry for the long boring story. But as many will agree, these are not just cars, whether you use them as a daily or lucky enough to use them only when its sunny, these cars, their quirks and issues all help make them a special little thing and a real pride and joy to own.

As said above, Australia beckons. In 2011 i was lucky enough to meet my other half in Sydney and we always wanted to go back, so in 5 months, 3 weeks and 6 days (looks at iphone countdown app) we will be going back there hence the reluctant sale of the car.

When/if we return i hope one day i will be in the position to own another one.

But as others who have left the fold have said, its the people of MLOC who make it what it is and its onwards and upwards for this club! Demonstrated by the fantastic efforts of DeanB at the annual chatsworth event.

So thanks to all who helped me with Lotus journey!

Hopefully see you all before we head down under

safe pedaling !!

Chris

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wipes tears from eyes.

Still time to see all us MLOC members at events, Chatsworth, Fish Meets etc.

Wonder if the new owner spots the noisy seat and squeeky sun visor.

Sure im welcome in a T reg 1.25 zetec fiesta?!

That made a brilliant read Chris and really summed up your memories of each car. Had a little giggle at the 'PUF' reg plate and then nearly teary before getting to the end of the post! Don't be a stranger 'mate' ;-)

Well said Chris. Good luck in Oz. I hope you still post on here from time to time.

Oh, and keep away from the snakes down under - they eat crocodiles whole apparently!

Great story Chris and I'm sure one that is still to be continued in the future. We had some cracking times over the last few years, early morning starts for runs, grazed knuckles and swearing fixing the car, wedding runs, stig chasing you at supercar Sunday, amazing euro trips. Great that you shared all this fun and they will be fond memories for us all.

Good luck mate with OZ and you are only a message away.

Archived