litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Elise Owner Looking For Advice An A Look On The Car

nokesy

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie to the site and to the Lotus scene, i have just proudly brought a 1998 Elise S1 in red and was hoping that someone, whom knows more that me on the subject, (not difficult) would be able to spare some time to have a nose over my new car, I can supply drinks and chocolate as an incentive!!

As far as I can say it is a 1.8 K series 57K with a custom exhaust and a different filter. surrender.gif

I live in Mollington (OX17) just outside Banbury and any help, pointers would be extreamly useful.

The next point on my agenda, is what i can do with it, be nice!!

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated, I plan to:

Refresh the suspension

Change te brake lines to braided

Change the clutch line to braided

Put a metal throttle body on 48mm with the holes soldered up

Fit a de-cat pipe (if there isn't one on there)

Refresh the bolts on the clams and undertays

But apart from that...

Thanks

Dave

post-5218-0-14147600-1393594394_thumb.jpg

post-5218-0-15682500-1393594514_thumb.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice looking car there Dave.

Make sure the suspension refresh includes the rear toe links (if they haven't been done).

I would also fit a PRT (Pressure Relief Thermostat) if it hasn't got one.

Most importantly - enjoy your new car.

Firstly welcome !

Do you know if anything needs doing, or have you got a wish-list of improvements that you want to prioritise ? Seems like a sensible starter list.

I'd get the car over to Steve Guglielmi (ScaredStifff) in Daventry for a good look over and some professional advice.

And before anyone says it - driver training is always a good idea (either an easy trackday with Lotus on Track (instruction compulsory for new drivers) or a "Walshy" day).

Watch the tail end in the wet ! You can lose it in the dry, so even easier at this time of year.

But most of all, enjoy it !

Welcome to MLOC. It looks nice and shiny.....I would fit a prrt, have it serviced (Lots on here use Unit4 in Burton, but that may be too far for you) and drive it over the summer to get a feel for it before changing anything else.

Dobbo is right about watching the back end - especially on the way in to corners on a trailing throttle. When they get away from you they do so very quickly. It took me ages to get confident with mine.

Welcome to Mloc yes suspension and toe link as these are issues as they snap as in Lemans trip had that experience.

Silverstone Lotus and Allon White I use .

Or pop over to my breakfast meet next sunday at Hilltop Farm Warwickshire.

Eddie

You finally found your way on here at last!! Welcome dude.

First thing is get the insurance and tax, and drive it!! Come on.....!!!!

As Chris said, a Walshy day will be really good value for money and show you what the car is really capable of!! Have it checked over by Steve Gugliemi in Daventry aswell, maybe after you do the suspension refresh with a 'geo'.

The ginger one (Miles) wants a look at it too...

Next reply, I want to see a few miles on it please...!

All good advise particularly PRRT. Steve Guglielmi will do a great job on geo when you've done suspension refresh. Discs and decent pads are an important upgrade but would think twice about decat as more noise and fail on MoT

Is a prrt really necessary, mine is ok with the standard thermostat.

Get some pagid's and decent rubber, yes Pagid's are not cheap real performance ones not the on ease on ebay/from eurocarparts but they are worth it

Prrt is a worthwhile mod I think. I have made very few mods to mine but that is one. I did it to try and prevent head gasket failure caused by thermal shock. I was partly persuaded by the fact that Land Rover engineers came up with it for the Freelander (I think).

Has it worked? Well no, strictly, because I had hgf a year after fitting it. To be fair though the gasket that failed was the original type and had plastic dowels. A prrt alone was never likely to save it. Now I have a multi layer steel gasket and steel dowels and with the prrt feel confident the gasket will last until the whole engine needs rebuilding.

HI Guys,

Thanks for all of the advice, I'll look and see if I already have a PRT, if not, Matt, I'll have yours!

Not to bothered on the MOT for the emissions, I all ways pass, nudge wink, but thanks for the advice, I like the loud button to make a loud sound, so the de-cat will probably happen.

Thanks for the advice on the Headlight supports, will check them out when I get the clam off.

I'll get Steve Guglielmi (ScaredStifff) no and give him a bell, just got to get this 20000 word report done, then I'm gonna tackle the car.

Firstly welcome !

Do you know if anything needs doing, or have you got a wish-list of improvements that you want to prioritise ? Seems like a sensible starter list.

I'd get the car over to Steve Guglielmi (ScaredStifff) in Daventry for a good look over and some professional advice.

And before anyone says it - driver training is always a good idea (either an easy trackday with Lotus on Track (instruction compulsory for new drivers) or a "Walshy" day).

Watch the tail end in the wet ! You can lose it in the dry, so even easier at this time of year.

But most of all, enjoy it !

I don't know what needs doing, hoping someone local could look over it with me and point me in the right direction, but yep track day sounds good too.. Thanks

Only problem now is the insurance, but will post another on here for that.

Is a prrt really necessary, mine is ok with the standard thermostat.

Get some pagodas and decent rubber, yes Paige's are not cheap real performance ones not the on ease on ebay/from eurocarparts but they are worth it

Umm, what do you mean by pagodas and Paiges? are they tyres?? like I said I am new to the lotus scene sorry...

I talked with Gav extensively about fitting a prrt last year and his view was that I didn't need one. But from what he was saying I think it depends on usage. If it going to live on the tack then probably a good idea. If most road use with one or two trackdays a year then potentially not. I can't say I have any technical knowledge to back that up though, just based on a chat with the Oracle!

The ginger one (Miles) wants a look at it too...

How dare you call me ginger! ;)

Dave, get it insured and taxed and get it over here, you're only 50 minutes away and we can give it the once over in the garage :)

I am planning to come to Matt's at some stage, but nothing fixed yet.

Archived