litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Sometimes Life Changes When You Least Expect It

JonS

Just a quick update, I've had an AA inspection done on a prospective new car, everything appears ok, and I should now be picking it up on Saturday. Not a Lotus, but still a different kind of fun.

I also just want to say a huge thank you for all your messages. It is really quite overwhelming the amount of comments/emails/texts and phone calls I have had from my MLOC buddies on this whole debacle. It really encapsulates what this club is about for me, and makes me very proud to be part of it and its future development. It does however make it rather sore visiting here knowing I am no longer an owner. Hopefully the new toy will go some way to healing the wound.

Hopefully the Bug will live on in one form or another - Leigh, you may well be staring at part of it whenever you're in you car! ;-) There is also possibly the chance of bigger plans for the car, but this remains to be finalised.

Incidentally, the former friend who caused all this has not responded like he said he would and chosen not to give any form of goodwill compensation for the stress, hassle and incredible inconvenience that his irresponsible actions have caused. I have spent two months battling with his insurance company, seeking professional advice and fighting my own corner as the completely innocent party. He has not done a thing apart from crash my car and phone his insurers. And the whole lack of apology thing leaves me so angry I can't express it properly in words.

So James Rowledge of Raw Autoworks, Bognor Regis is now named and shamed. Thanks for nothing.

Jon

I don't personally know you, but I genuinely feel for you as you probably don't need this 'hassle' in your life.

With regards to your so called 'friend' then f..ck him and I'm glad you have had the balls to name and shame him.

Mark

Edited. to remove any remarks that could result in 'deformation of character'!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it's been a while now since all this happened. I thought I'd just update the thread with what I bought in The Bug's place.

So no introduction, just here it is:

gallery_1516_1247_1887528.jpg

A lovely BMW 335i Coupe, manual!

A stonking 3.0ltr twin turbo engine with 302bhp and a boot full of torque!

I wanted something that was not particularly comparable to the Elise and had a few other tick boxes checked as well, and I came up with this. I've aptly named it The Twin (twin turbo - and anything but a twin to the Bug!).

It has had a lot of money spent on it, including the lowered suspension, tweaked exhaust, 2010 alloys, black trim bits inside and out, and it has one or two M badges inside just to remind you what it is! (ie Not an M3, but as near as I'll get to one, but with better fuel economy!)

I'll be taking it on track soon enough, and am looking forward to smoking those massive 19's on the exit of every hairpin!

I would like to think I would be back in a Lotus sometime in the future, but for now, this is a more suitable car for my family to all enjoy together.

Thanks again for all your comments and messages, it has been very nice to receive them.

smile.png

gallery_1516_1247_3892371.jpg

gallery_1516_1247_2896185.jpg

Nice biggrin.gif

I hope you have a healthy tyre fund. My daily driver has 245/40/19s and they costs a bloody fortune. And mine is a diesel with about half the power of yours!

Thanks both - Leigh, the tyre fund is what was formerly known as 'Elise Engine Rebuild Fund'!! Think I know which will be cheaper each year! ;-)

Will certainly be doing Goodwood in the Twin at some point Alex, but I need a kinder circuit for the first track day in this! In this car Power > Talent!

Cheers all smile.png

I test drove an Automatic, and was seriously considering the 335D for a while as I do 80 miles a day! However, I thought long and hard about what I'm likely to miss the most about driving the Elise, and it was the physical interaction with it, ragging the life out of the revs and then slamming it into the next gear when I want to - neither of which can you do with a D or an Auto. So it was decision made: Petrol, Manual.

I'm getting over 30mpg on the commutes as well so I'm pretty pleased with that so far. Also, drove to Glasgow last weekend and got from there to Southampton on less than 1 tank of fuel (whilst still 'enjoying' the drive every now and then!).

Not got any interior pics yet Miles, will take some when I remember. Internal space is great though, plenty of leg room in the back for a 4 person lap of the Nurburgring! wink.png

Archived