Midlands Lotus Owners Club (MLOC)

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ollie

Stuck In Traffic High Temperature

12 posts in this topic

Hi

Got stuck in some traffic earlier for around an hour.

Temperature gauge was reading 93 is this normal this is with smoke or steam coming out the front end. With a hint of burning oil as well. First time I've noticed it never been sat in traffic that long before.

It will be steam from rain/water on the radiator. 93 is normal, mine runs in the 80's when moving and rises to low 90's when stationary. Rad fan doesn't kick in till around 103.

If you had an analogue gauge, you wouldn't notice 93. The fan will kick in over 100. Unless that happens and it stays on, there's nothing to worry about.

As said, the steam was probably water trapped in the rad fins that was evaporating. Did it start just as you moved off ?

Oil smell is probably unrelated, but stay aware and check regularly.

Thanks for all the replies

I didn't realize they get into the 100c before the fan kicked in.

All my other cars and past cars have never gone above 90c.

Why is it these run so high.

I think it was just some trapped water as i went in it the other night and after a while it was just waves of heat you could see coming out no steam.

Mine was set by Track Group and kicks in at 92, off at 88. I have no idea what the second fan does lol...

Secondary fan is normally aircon? I doubt you have aircon Jon :-)