litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Lotus Elise S2 Lights

J M Stott

Hi All,

Finally got my elise last Friday, must admit i am thrilled with it, love it to peices, but i was just wondering if anybody could help me out, i was checking all my lights and noticed that when i put it into reverse, the only reverse light to come on is on the drivers side (i think, i know it ony one side) is this how it should be? I know some cars only have one reversing light just didnt know if this was one of them.

Also the small lights on the front of my car, one of them is out (the small circular lights) how do i replace this and with what bulb.

Thanks, sorry for the easy question just not had time to have a play with it yet and wanted to get it all sorted before i go out in it tonight so wanted a quick response haha.

Thanks Guys

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you should have 2 reversing lights, if its an S2 like mine and one fog light on the drivers side. I am just looking to change mine over to LED's at the rear and have 2 working reversing lights, but have found that my fogs don't work at all, so sorting that problem, before fitting new ones. The daft thing is that the fogs on these are more often than not, never used as most are driven in the daytime on a nice summers day!!! but I would imagine any failed lights are an MoT fail. Not sure about the fronts, are they the driving lights in the grille or the main lights? if main lights you get at them by taking the relavent wheel off and there is an access panel.

I've not had mine long and am learning where everything is.

Changing the headlamp bubs on the Elise is a bit of a pig, you need to release the lens's from inside the wheel arch, so while you have them off I would replace all the bulbs. You can get very cheap - or even free - LED side light bulbs, but don't use them, buy good quality ones or you will be doing it again in a couple of weeks. I would take the opportunity of upgrading the dip and full bulbs as the standard ones are useless - I use Osram Night Breaker plus or Ring Xenon Ultima, you can get these from Halfords, or for less than half price from internet - someone like this http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/, but there are others.

Here is a set of instructions for changing a bulb http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/experience/maintenance/adjustheadlamps/adjustheadlamps.html

Have fun with your new Elise - see you around, I will be in a Lazer blue 111R

The small driving lamps if failed would be shown as an advisory. You can replace the bulb but need to re do the wiring or buy a replacement unit. IF you need to replace be careful of the clam as the one of the bolts holding the lamp in place is hidden behind the clam. It tends to be the connector that corrodes and then causes problems rather than the bulb. So clean this up first and do a bit of wiggling.

The reverse lamps on a car are not included in the MOT.

Archived