litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Temperature Guage Not Working

Ken Ormsby

My Temperature guage on the Stack is not working, it is completely blank (Elise S1)

I have ordered a new blue Sender, I tried a spare brown one I had laying around but still nothing.

Whilst I wait for the new one to arrive, is there a simple test I can do to ensure it is not an electrical fault?

Can I pas a small current directly into the Stack to see if the display shows?

I tried grounding the wire directly on the blue plug but nothing happened.

Thx

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IIRC, its the Blue one that does the temp signal to the Stack on an S1. Check the connections. Also check the resistance between the engine and the chassis. If its a high reading check the earth strap Grounding the wire will do nothing as the engine and Chassis is at 0 VDC.

I think the supply to the sender is 5 VDC. The voltage back to the stack will change depending on the resistance / temperature at the sender. DO NOT put a voltage on the wires as you may bugger up the stack. Wait for a new sender would be my advice. HTH

Edit, welcome to MLOC by the way :)

IIRC, its the Blue one that does the temp signal to the Stack on an S1. Check the connections. Also check the resistance between the engine and the chassis. If its a high reading check the earth strap Grounding the wire will do nothing as the engine and Chassis is at 0 VDC.

I think the supply to the sender is 5 VDC. The voltage back to the stack will change depending on the resistance / temperature at the sender. DO NOT put a voltage on the wires as you may bugger up the stack. Wait for a new sender would be my advice. HTH

Edit, welcome to MLOC by the way smile.png

I only measured 0.5v :( Must have a bad conection somewhere

Does the blue sensor only have 1 wire to it? If it does do the following. Check the resistance between the connection on the sensor and the body of the sensor. It will be K Ohms probably.

Run a wire from the connection on the back of the stack plug to near the sensor. Put your Ohm meter between this wire and the sensor body, with the sensor connected. You should get the same reading plus the resistance of the wire. If not you have a wiring problem.

This is assuming the wire goes directly between the Stack and the sensor? I dont have an S1 wiring diagram to check. HTH

I ran a wire from the sensor directly to the STACk, and it started to work, so the existing wire is bad somewhere along the way.

Now I will have to run a new wire (oh joy). What is the best way to run this?

Phil, thanks for that. It looks like there is another plug and socket. Follow the line down from the A6 connection on the Stack plug. There is another plug / socket shown below it. I cant make out the letters / numbers though? The service manual should tell you where its located?

Archived