litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Nitrons Spring Rates For S1

AlanS1

Like a few people on here I am currently carrying out a bit of a suspension refresh.

I haven't owned the S1 for that long and have not covered too much mileage. However I did think that the ride was a little harsh.

Now I have the suspension off I can see what springs are fitted to the Nitrons. (46 one ways)

Currently I have:

Rear - 6" 2.25" 750lbs with helpers. (springs are loose when wheel is jacked up, however I have ordered some lowering brackets fro the rear which should illuminate the loose springs?)

Front - 5" 2.25" 550lbs with helpers. (springs are secure, but helpers coil bound)

The Nitrons are off a S2 K series race car.

Obviously the springs are a little too strong for a road/track day car?

My questions are:

- What spring lengths, strength are you using and how do you find your set up?

- Do you utilise helpers?

- Do you have a uprated anti roll bar?(been told I can go softer on the front with one?)

Alan

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd agree with Dan, my last set of Nitron's were 400/475 and were great for road and track. I wouldn't want to go any stiffer as it makes the car less compliant on wet trackdays. If you could guarantee a dry trackday every time then I'd go a bit stiffer. And yes I use helper springs.

I have never run an uprated ARB - never felt the need, but I know a few people do. The last thing I would want is a stiffer front end (likelihood of more understeer) and have always felt it is just another thing to adjust, and have been happy that I can get a geo I am happy with without having one fitted. (all imo of course :) )

I had 425 and 350 before which was very good for fast road. It was good in most cases, a little soft for track though.

Now, they are 500r/400f for track use and i would go harder.

Miles seems to like the car as it is.

245 and 285

That's interesting thanks. I know s1 standard springs are softer still.

If I were running nitrons I would probably try 425 and 350 given that most of my driving is still on the road. Really stiff springs are rubbish on bumpy roads, and not so good in the wet. I had nitrons with stiff-ish springs on my vx220 and it really spoiled it on the road I thought.

You don't know what the s2 135r spring rates are do you Fentuz by any chance?

The Nitron Street Series run 275/350 spring rates and imo are the perfect spring for road driving and if I had a road only Elise I'd go with that. But on track they became too soft even on a stiffer setting (in the dry).

It looks like there are a lot of combinations people are using with very different views. Basically down to personnel choice.

I am gonna try and finish off the suspension refresh hopefully this week??? Then its going up to Rob Boston Racing for a full suspension set up. I will see what springs he recommends as well.

Steve your Honda with supercharger and 6 speed box must be a fair chunk heavier than a non-vvc K engine and 5 speed box? That needs to be factored in...

Yes that's true. 820kg with fuel.

No idea about spring length. Standard with one way nitrons.

I presume you have looked at the info on the nitron website.

http://www.nitron.co.uk/Automotive/Lotus/Elise-S1

For the s1 fast road they recommend 400 / 475

For trackday car they recommend 450 / 600 but with rear helper springs.

Then for race, as you have 550 / 700.

I think it depends on what your mix of road to track driving is going to be. But I agree that you current setup is to strongly spung for a road s1.

Depending on the condition of the shocks. You might be better selling them and buying different shocks rather than the cost of having new springs and the valving changed.

Spoken to Nitron today. Very helpful guy called Sam. He told me that their website requires updating.

They now recommend 450F/525R for track days with helpers. This is very close to what I was thinking.

My shocks are in good condition, so I will just get some new springs with the recommended rates. Probably use Faulkners Springs?

Thanks for all the advice. :)

Archived