litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Elise Owner From Derby

Saint Matt

Hi guys, just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Matt, 26 from Derby. Picked up an S2 Elise 111S this weekend from "Acehole" on here, looking forward to spending most of this summer in it!

I've had mainly Honda Type Rs before this, a DC5 Integra Type R, an S2000 and a couple of older DC2 Integras, the last one I fitted a K20 into, so this is my plan for the Elise :D

Lastly I just wanted to say a huge thanks for PaulC on here, he gave me loads of helpful info and let me loose in his S1 a few weeks ago, just to see if it was my kind of thing, even though we'd never met before!

Hope to see you guys around soon

Matt

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome!

I'm not a million miles away from yourself, in castle donington.

You've brought yourself a lovely car.

I had a ep3 type r before my first Elise awesome engine but poor handling car.

As Jody has said few meetings in the not to distant future, you should come along.

Welcome, and enjoy.

I hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs, but there's a thing that everyone says on here to people who join in the winter, and that's to take it easy in the wet. What they don't point out is why - Elises (like all rear mid-engined sports cars) can lose traction abruptly and then cause you to reverse rapidly into an accident. It has happened to lots of us on here, and very frequently in the first few weeks of ownership. So it's good to get the warning in early, before you break yourself or your car (like I did). I hope this is an unnecessary warning, but just in case, I prefer to be explicit rather than expecting you to guess why everyone says it. There are probably other reasons too, but this one should be enough. On the upside, I expect, like most of the rest of us, you'll love having the most fun car on the planet. Have a great time in the car, and on MLOC.

Welcome aboard Matt. Acehole was unlucky with that car, a few bits and bobs went wrong with it (including the head gasket) but he had it all fixed by the best guy (imo) - Gav at Unit4 in Burton. When he finally got it sorted he went and sold it!

Get yourself out to a meet soon, you will be glad you did.

Btw I echo the take it steady on slippery roads advice - I got caught out in a vx220 I used to have. The thing you need to know is that most elise spins & accidents occur when the driver loses the back end ON THE WAY IN to a corner, when OFF the throttle. They aren't too bad on the way out when you are accelerating unless it is a very slow and very slippery corner. Have fun!

Archived