litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Battery And Other Stuff

nordberg

Folks,

My Elise (S1) has not been on the road since December 2011. The battery will be well and truly knackered so I am not even going to entertain trying to resurrect it. Going to get a new one. Can anybody suggest a place that won't screw me over on price? I have got a battery conditioner now so I will use that in future so it doesn't knacker up again. Also, I have no doubt that the fuel will have gone off so I will have that to contend with as well. What I would like ideally is to get the car over to Unit 4 in Burton on Trent so I can have it serviced and have the whole lot looked at and MOTed. Does anybody know anybody in the Derby / Burton area with a flatbed that could get it transported over there?

Any help much appreciated

Andy

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy, pleased to hear you still have it smile.png Im sure Gav will sort it out.

Martin,

Nice to see your still keeping tabs on things MLOC related. I don't think I could contemplate not owning the Lotus unless things got really bad financially. However, I am going to have to be sensible about the cost implications of getting it back on the road (Insurance, tax, service, mot etc), but I am determined to get some enjoyment out of it in the not too distant future.

PS. How do I rack up 'Warning Points' Lol :)

Martin,

Nice to see your still keeping tabs on things MLOC related. I don't think I could contemplate not owning the Lotus unless things got really bad financially. However, I am going to have to be sensible about the cost implications of getting it back on the road (Insurance, tax, service, mot etc), but I am determined to get some enjoyment out of it in the not too distant future.

PS. How do I rack up 'Warning Points' Lol smile.png

Not driving your Lotus for 3 years will probably do it tongue.png

If you book a car in for a MOT in advance, you can drive it to the test centre. So maybe save the transport costs for the insurance or battery.

Jamie, i think Andy is more concerned about starting it after all this time? If it were mine i would put a drop of oil down the bores turn it over a few times by hand via the crank pulley bolt and then try it.

Its not mine though :-)

The MOT station also has to be within a reasonable distance............... Derby to Burton might be stretching it a bit.

I used this "technique" to drive a project home from northampton to leicester. Had an mot booked and had day insurance perfectly legal if plod stops u!

Do you know anyone who can tow a trailer with the Lotus on? It would be cheaper to then rent a trailer for half a day.

I would suspect you need.....

Battery

Fuel drained and flushed

Oil changed

Brake fluid swap

Brakes serviced

Water flush and replace

Possibly plugs, dizzy.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all of the advice on this topic. I have got the contact details off a friend of mine for the transport of my car on a flatbed and he says it will be sub £100 so that is progress (and a bit cheaper than Burrows Recovery) if i decide to go down that route. As Fish says, I think there are going to be a few things that need sorting if I am to have a settled conscience around starting the car and driving it initially. My car has a de-cat so a cat will need to be fitted (at least for the mot) and Gav at Unit 4 says he has one he keeps on one side for just that purpose smile.png . I am thinking that it would probably just be better to get the car ferried over to Gav and have him present me with a working car ready for April / May when I will get it insured / taxed again.

I am in no massive rush to get it sorted as you can see, but I am thinking its going to cost to get it into a position where its road worthy so if i tackle this problem now, then it will give me a few months to put some cash aside for insurance and tax.

Archived