litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Prrt Kit With Lower Hose Conversion Clearance Issue

AlanS1

The other week i decided to purchase the Elise Parts PRRT Kit along with the Lower Hose Conversion as well.

My plan was to install it prior to the Thunder in the Park track weekend i was booked on.

Things didn't go to plan in more ways than one.

Managed to fit the above kits (after about 12 hours and missing skin, what a bloody job)

However the lower coolant hose pipe is only clearing the exhaust down pipe by a few mm. I phoned Elise Parts, who was very helpful, but no resolution as of yet.

I can only see a couple of options that i have that may help?

1- My engine position is not correct? Too close to the bulkhead. Is it worth buying the uprated engine mountings that are adjustable?

Does anyone know the distance between the top of the engine to the bulkhead? And the bottom of the engine to the bulkhead?

This will tell me if my engine position is different.

2- My exhaust manifold and down pipe are too closet to the bulkhead/ too far from the engine block?

Does anyone know or have the measurement from the bottom of the engine block to the exhaust down pipe?

Any suggestions are most welcome.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely it would be easier to move the pipework than the engine - mountain to Mohammed and all that?

If your engine is a little closer to the bulkhead (unlikely I would have thought) it would improve weight distribution and therefore handling!

I fitted one to my S1 elise with no problems. Your car is not standard, any chance your exhaust is positioned differently?

I really doubt it is engine mounts.

I have been told via Bell and Colvill that the exhaust manifold and down pipe are not changed on their 160 Plus kit (which was carried out from new)

However there is a possibility still that the exhaust is positioned differently, hence why i was asking if anyone is kind enough to provide some basic measurements so i can compare.

The gearbox mount does look quite worn, i have not checked the others. Maybe these have "relaxed" enough to allow the engine to sit in a slightly different position.

Surely it would be easier to move the pipework than the engine - mountain to Mohammed and all that?

If your engine is a little closer to the bulkhead (unlikely I would have thought) it would improve weight distribution and therefore handling!

Trust me i have tried to pursued the pipework. If there was any way to manipulate it i would have. I have even considered putting the original over the manifold pipework back on.

I know I always say this but I would take it to Gav at Unit4 in Burton. He fitted my PRRT (s2 though) and will know if your engine has moved any, if your manifold is different etc. He will also put it on his lift so it is much easier to see and work on everything.

You could look at my car but but it is an S1 exige with aircon so all the pipes will be different. I had no trouble fitting it other than getting the thermostat off. I also fitted one to a S1 elise with no issues.

I still think that even with worn mounts it should not be a problem, remember the engine moves quite a bit on the mounts.

Mine was fitted with a std manifold in place. Now running a piper manifold and still ok. You're welcome to have a look if that helps. Mines a 1998.

Mine was fitted to the standard pipes using the landrover kit. Perhaps it's the lower pipe kit that's the issue.

The lower pipe is as close to the bulkhead as possible. I have even removed some of the heat shielding so i can get it closer. The pipe can not go any further. So it has to be the down pipe or engine position.

I will have to get the car back on the axle stands and see what i need to do.

Mine was fitted with a std manifold in place. Now running a piper manifold and still ok. You're welcome to have a look if that helps. Mines a 1998.

Mine was fitted to the standard pipes using the landrover kit. Perhaps it's the lower pipe kit that's the issue.

Hi Stu, were you at Donnington the other weekend? If so i had a quick look and your down pipe was further away from the bulkhead than mine. Just not sure whether it is the down pipe or mounts. (maybe just the engine steady mount.)

Hi mate as we talked about using the Elise parts gearbox mount does give you some pivot adjustment, if you release a bolt then rock the engine you can see how much it does move!

If you need any spanearing help give me a shout and I'll be there.

Hi jody, i have just ordered the adjustable mount along with a new gearbox mount from EP.

I shall probably start playing with the car after Boxing day(got to keep the Mrs happy).

A hand is very appreciated.

The lower pipe is as close to the bulkhead as possible. I have even removed some of the heat shielding so i can get it closer. The pipe can not go any further. So it has to be the down pipe or engine position.

I will have to get the car back on the axle stands and see what i need to do.

Hi Stu, were you at Donnington the other weekend? If so i had a quick look and your down pipe was further away from the bulkhead than mine. Just not sure whether it is the down pipe or mounts. (maybe just the engine steady mount.)

Yes it was mine you looked at. Only difference I can think of is this lower pipe mod you're doing. I'd be amazed if your engine has moved unless a mount has seriously failed. You'd notice that as the engine would be moving all around the engine bay. Try riding the clutch against the brakes and see if the engine moves loads.

Not sure whether this will help any but here's a link to when I fitted my Eliseparts PRRT. I didn't have any issues with the exhaust (although it's not fitted in these photos) but I did have to shorten one of the silicon hoses for it to clear one of the coolant pipes...

http://www.midlandslotus.co.uk/forum/topic/59300-hgf-diy-kr1/page-9?hl=prrt

Ealier this week I fitted an EliseParts prrt to a 1998 S1 with no problems other than being fiddly. I have to rear clam off so the job is a lot easier. The gap between the lower water pipe and my standard exhaust is about 18mm, 6mm is taken up by the manifold heat shield leaving a clear gap of 12mm between heat shield and exhaust pipe. The top of the engine from the top of the cam carrier to the bulkhead insulation is 125mm. I was going to take some photos but my camera battery is flat. If you want any particular measurments or photos I can supply them on Boxing day.

Mac

Phil S1 - Nice thread on the head work you did. I didn't notice any issues with that particular hose. However i will now check this.

elanmac - You have a more clearance than i do at present. But i think the adjustable mount from EP will allow me to tilt the engine a little more??

It would be interesting to see the distance from the actual engine block to the bottom of the bulkhead(where the lip is). If you could be so kind to be able to provide this i will be very grateful.

Thanks for all your advise and merry Xmas to all.

I have been out to the car to try to measure the distance you require but without jacking the car up this is not possible at present. Next week after I have fitted my new camshafts I will be able to get the car out of the garage and jack it up. At the moment I can only get to the drivers side as my garage is not very wide. However from the top I can my hand down to find that I have approx 60mm gap between the oil filter and water pipe.

Archived