litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Steering Wheel Vibration 80Mph

Meister

I get really bad steering wheel vibration on my Exige 240S at around 80mph. I have read that this can be a case of TADTS as the AO48 tyres on the fronts are a pig to balance correctly.

My question is, is it worth going down the road of 're balancing' time and possibly time again or just wait till they need replacing with new tyres?

Have other Exige owners had this? and if so what did you do?

Mark

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had this. It was caused by the tyre being correctly balanced and then slipping on the rim. So they were perfectly balanced when first fitted, then the tyre moved on the rim, knocking them out. Apparently this can be caused by using too much soap when they fit them.

I would have them rebalanced. Put a mark with a marker pen across the tyre and the rim and you will then see if they do move on the rim.

Yes they are a pain to balance, but most modern balance machines should be able to cope (it's more down to the tyre fitter spending a little extra time getting them to balance and not giving up when it gets within "tolerance").

I had this. It was caused by the tyre being correctly balanced and then slipping on the rim. So they were perfectly balanced when first fitted, then the tyre moved on the rim, knocking them out. Apparently this can be caused by using too much soap when they fit them.

I would have them rebalanced. Put a mark with a marker pen across the tyre and the rim and you will then see if they do move on the rim.

Yes they are a pain to balance, but most modern balance machines should be able to cope (it's more down to the tyre fitter spending a little extra time getting them to balance and not giving up when it gets within "tolerance").

Thanks Ian

Where did you have yours 'balanced'? I'm always a little concerned about the car being 'jacked' correctly.

Mark

Here:

http://www.trade-tyres-midlands.co.uk/

I've used them for a couple of years. They also come out and do a mobile service which is really good, they've just swapped my wife's car over to winter tyres. If you look around on forums it seems lots of people with performance cars like them as they also take good care of your alloys smile.png

I know what you mean about jacking issues, I've been to one place that didn't have a jack lower enough to go under car, and that was before it was lowered 30mm! They wanted to put the jack on the rear suspension arm, I declined...

Yep had this problem, it took ages to find. I only noticed once the we're put on correctly with the yellow dot at the tyre valve. Then over the next few weeks noticed it was not lined up.

Never had the issue once I moved to toyo 888's

Same here, track days caused tyres to slip, wobble at 70 for me, very annoying.

Moved to 888's for a vararity of reasons- the above, cost/ durability but mostly because awesome as 48's are, they were beyond my talent on track, which tbh is the only place you should be pushing them to the limit,

they grip like #%^* to a blanket but when they let go it's sudden. I find the 888's are nearly as good and give me a bit of warning before they aim me at the gravel!!,

The smoother ride on road was a very welcome addition. I ran 888 rears and 48 fronts for a while which worked well for me then replaced the fronts with 888's when I needed to, rather than waste good rubber.

Hath

Richbk

Same here, track days caused tyres to slip, wobble at 70 for me, very annoying.

Moved to 888's for a vararity of reasons- the above, cost/ durability but mostly because awesome as 48's are, they were beyond my talent on track, which tbh is the only place you should be pushing them to the limit,

they grip like #%^* to a blanket but when they let go it's sudden. I find the 888's are nearly as good and give me a bit of warning before they aim me at the gravel!!,

The smoother ride on road was a very welcome addition. I ran 888 rears and 48 fronts for a while which worked well for me then replaced the fronts with 888's when I needed to, rather than waste good rubber.

Hath

Richbk

Decent tyre fitter or not this ^ is the best cure and will bring this issue to a complete stop. I have never looked back Mark.

I spent a long time banging my head over this Mark.

As others have said, only cure I'm afraid was a change to Toyo 888.

Jonny,Simon& Rich

Thanks for your comments, the rears are brand new and there is still a good 3mm on the fronts so I will try and get the fronts balanced tomorrow. I'll get a few track days out of them then change to the Toyo 888's as soon as!

Mark

Update - I had all the tyres balanced today at IanC's recommended tyre fitter. To be fair they spent sometime weighting them as accurately as they could. There has been a marked improvement! However I am OCD and there is still some vibration. So to conclude to get rid of this totally I will have to change to 888's!. Due to fact the rears are brand new I have decided that presumably the rears will wear 2-3 times quicker than the fronts, which are at about 3-3.5mm, that when these get to 2mm I will change the lot to 888's.

Martin R - As a point of interest I have marked the tyres in line with the valves so will report back if there is any slip. Although, I made the decision to 'put her to bed' until the New Year and presumably this slip would only happen when warm and on track? Anyway will keep my eye on them when I track the car next year.

Mark

Archived