litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Partial Diy Winter 2013.

Martin R

Miles, thanks for that. Do you fancy Zandvort next year? smile.png I could do with another driving lesson.

I'd love to join you, and the current K-Series car that's in my garage is quiet enough to pass the noise regs :)

Let's make a plan............

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to join you, and the current K-Series car that's in my garage is quiet enough to pass the noise regs smile.png

Let's make a plan............

I will put a post in events to gauge interest. Liz and i will be going. We will make a small holiday of it no doubt again. :) I dont think they have a lot of problems at Zandvort re noise.

Martin are you having heavy metal inserts in your crank?

A mate of mine builds old Triumph engines for a living (most of them for historic racing TRs and Morgans) and he swears by Vibration Free.

Dean at approx 1.5K for balancing with heavy metal inserts its not possible for me. The standard balanced crank has lasted 55K without. It should be better than OE balancing as Steve balances the complete assembly, including clutch plates, flywheel, crank, front damper etc etc :)

Martin getting the engine rebuilt by DVA is a good decision. I think it will be a good investment. S2 190's will only go up in value. I am sure you could have done it yourself but having a DVA rebuild in the history, will help it keep its value. Not that you will ever sell!

Jamie, good point. However by the time i have finished with it i doubt it will be worth much. To keep it appreciating, you cant use one really. It gives me far too much pleasure not to use.

It also makes me swear when crawling about on a cold garage floor in the winter. Its all part of the ownership experience to me :)

£1.5k!! Bloody hell!

At least you won't have to worry about any of that heavy metal coming adrift - which wouldn't be pretty. I'm sure that would be unlikely but I would worry if it were done on mine.

Great stuff Martin but I think that bulkhead needs some Gold Blinger there buddy ;-)

I had enough Gold bling with Bis and then you and Dan start tongue.png Seriously though, i would have considered it on any other one. Im trying to keep it OE ish as its a fairly limited edition car.

I dont know why as it will make no difference to the value the amount i use it. Its just the way i feel. Anything i do to take it away from OE i keep to return if needed.

I would have gone for Silver anyway. There is bling and there is bling smile.png

Edit, i have popped the engine spec now on the first post :)

As Martin mentioned earlier I was refurbing the box I thought I'd share the process with you here.

First of all I fully dismantle the box as all of the bolts and various brackets will be blasted and then sent for electro plating.

775923F0-EEC2-4AD5-88CA-CDD65121F0B5_zps

Once the box is open the familiar black residue is visible and it stinks like someone has been to the toilet inside it....standard stuff for gearboxes unfortunately!

6A76C1BC-9529-4B3F-98A8-7A734550A529_zps

All of the innards were then removed and washed thoroughly in the parts washer, and then finally the case is given a good wash first in the parts washer and then in the hot wash.

Prior to media blasting the case looks like this, clean on the inside but still showing signs of corrosion on the outside.

30AAA115-AC95-4915-9C0F-05B9B1EB5327_zps

Then after a few hours of media blasting with coarse grit, followed by Aqua blasting with fine grit then back into the parts washer, then into the hot wash, the case looks better than new!

DB169F4E-EC91-47C9-BDF1-60E9336A56FA_zps

I also did a few other assorted odds and sods as well...

F84FF48A-07E4-40CF-8712-E9131AD15B42_zps

Now we just need a few bearings and seals and the whole thing can be reassembled.

You better not get it dirty after all that effort Martin!

• 3 weeks later...

A few pics of the rebuild, I only took a couple as I got a bit carried away with putting it back together.

Martin supplied all of the bearings to fully rebuild the gearbox which in theory should mean it would go straight back together with all the same shims in, but you can't take these things for granted so all the clearances are checked, in this case with eye wateringly expensive Mitutoyo kit - f1 team standard stuff.

4258AC9F-47D5-4B6C-ABA6-1C37167F6257_zps

Fortunately everything was within factory tolerances but when the tolerance is 0.15 of a millimeter then it pays to check!

Then with all the internals spotlessly clean it can go back together.

72F44A2A-CB02-4838-8756-ADC1A699F42C_zps

I haven't taken any pics of the finally assembled box but I must say it looks rather splendid, I'll take a pic in the daylight!

Archived