litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Car Finally Back And Hello!

Stumason10

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Body work mainly so far. Fixed most of the various racing damage. Bit of a patch and repair job so not perfect but good enough for now.

Next is suspension overhaul to see what's bent and a light engine rebuild! It's not running at the moment as last race dumped all its oil out. Not started since as want it stripping and checking.

Hi Stu,

I saw bucket at a body shop in Bingham,looked like Nigel had a lot of work to do !! Certainly looks better now smile.png

It was there a fair while. Bucket less of a bucket now!

Stu, good to have you back. Are you going racing again? smile.png

Nope having some time off as I was getting left behind. Series has moved on. Much more professional and people taking it far more seriously both time wise and financially. I decided to fix up bucket and have as a nice weekend toy and odd trackdays, and if I race again I'll hire one for the odd race. Problem is, you get drawn into it and start racking up spending like a power crazed despot. Also I was slowly seeing my prized elise turn into a collection of damaged parts. So all the above I have decided to retire her from racing whilst still mainly in one piece and original parts still in situ. Then in 20 years time sell as a 3 owner car, low milage. Never raced or rallied all original for £200k as all the S1s are getting trashed or exported.

Only kidding about the not raced thing, to honest, but rest is true. She's a keeper.

She doesn't look the same without the gold livery! You have to put a bit of gold one her just as a reminder :)

I was chatting to a couple of people who used to race in the 2007/2008 season and they were saying they went back for a couple of races this year and were amazed at how the series had changed. I guess that's what happens as it gets more succesful, and credit to Paul Golding considering how much it has changed and the interest it has gained.

Although the strap line that the series had when it started out as being 'for those wanting to make the jump from trackdays to racing' has kind of got lost considering the money being spent in the series now.

Are there any "gentle" series for elises out there? MSVR trackday series is becoming much harder too.

Classic car racing seems a lot more relaxed but the elise is a little too young. Or some sort of semi-endurance races where you have to pay more consideration to the car (tyre wear, break endurance, engine nursing etc.)

If you want a more endurance type race that will allow Elises then look at 750MC Roadsports (45 min races) and the CSCC Modern Classics (40 min races) both of which started up this year and have been successful.

She doesn't look the same without the gold livery! You have to put a bit of gold one her just as a reminder smile.png

I was chatting to a couple of people who used to race in the 2007/2008 season and they were saying they went back for a couple of races this year and were amazed at how the series had changed. I guess that's what happens as it gets more succesful, and credit to Paul Golding considering how much it has changed and the interest it has gained.

Although the strap line that the series had when it started out as being 'for those wanting to make the jump from trackdays to racing' has kind of got lost considering the money being spent in the series now.

Hi Miles,

yes that's precisely whats happened. The success has attracted better drivers to be honest with more budget trying to get on in sportscars. Rob Boston last years ET winner is now racing Ginetta G55s I noticed on the BTCC coverage at the weekend.

Plan is to get some gold added.

I am thinking instead of Sport 160 (its not anyway) get Stu 170 in the same typeface.. and maybe some reference to my dad. The Gold S&M Racing sticker is still in the rear window!

Just need to get it fixed and running now!

If you want a more endurance type race that will allow Elises then look at 750MC Roadsports (45 min races) and the CSCC Modern Classics (40 min races) both of which started up this year and have been successful.

How's the MR2 championship going Tim?

It's been really good this year and has been competitive and has big grids. Paddock atmosphere has been particularly friendly this year and the Motors TV coverage has been excellent.

With 3 races to go it's still anyone's at the top. I'm currently lying 3rd in the championship but I'm there through consistency rather than high scores and that position will change as they take the best 13 out 15 scores at the end of the season.

Actually as a quick example of what the racing's been like this year here is some footage of us an Silverstone International, that's me ahead in the blue car with 23 on the back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Rax7WXd__B0#t=544

Four abreast into Stowe was quite entertaining...

Archived