litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Sabre Heads Kr1 Plus Newman Phase 2 Cams

Phil S1

Hi Jamie, I'm not sure quite how straightforward it is to swap from one ECU to another? If there is a fault in my ECU I wonder if it's been caused as a result of the mods and if so, borrowing someone else's might possibly do the same to theirs too so I'm a bit reluctant to try it to be honest.

I feel that an Emerald is the only surefire answer...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI Phil, if you swap the ECU and the fault goes away, you have found your problem. To swap an ecu is a ten minute job on an S2 and I think it is only one conection to the loom on an s1. Just out of interest have you attempted to disconnect the battery for 15 minute? This will put the K4 ECU back to factory default map. I imagine the same should happen with a MEMS ECU.

I think you are correct in that an Emerald is probably the way forward long term. In fact you dont want a constant mis fire on an engine.

The MEMS ECU has the map sensor built into it too, but I thought I'd also need some special tool to link a different ECU in with the alarm/immobiliser? I haven't tried disconnecting the battery, could be worth a try I guess.

Mems works with a seperate unit called a 5AS. I would check but fairly sure the 5AS acts purely as the Immobiliser and it is not linked to the ECU.

Just checked they are all linked as you say. Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks for the offer Ollie but I don't believe the MEMS 1.9 ECU is OBD compliant. Does it only work with the later ECUs? I'm not sure.

Been speaking with Roger this afternoon about an Emerald....and everything else under the sun laugh.png and I found an Emerald dealer off their website that's a bit more local to me than Norwich so dropped them an email too to see how much the mapping's likely to be.

Phil, good job my head is in the post then :) Im glad you phoning did not hold it up. On the bright side its plug and play on the S1 with no need for the link lead like on an S2. You wont end up with much change from 1K after mapping though. However you can then drop a 1.9K in when you want thumbs_up.gif

When my car wouldn't start, the garage sent round a junior with an OBD reader and it wouldn't 'connect'. I did some research and the S1 isn't OBD compliant. (I'm presuming your ECU is the same as mine of course...)

You're spot on with your estimate Martin, I didn't realise the S2 needed an adapter on top though.....another reason why S1's are better then tongue.gif

After this update I think it will be a VERY long time before a 1.9K finds it way into my car....unless you've got one you want me to test for you laugh.png

You're spot on with your estimate Martin, I didn't realise the S2 needed an adapter on top though.....another reason why S1's are better then tongue.gif

After this update I think it will be a VERY long time before a 1.9K finds it way into my car....unless you've got one you want me to test for you laugh.png

After this update? When is it being done then Phil? :) We need a separate thread on this. I would be forever fiddling if i had an Emerald.

Yes, it's official, it's another update and I have just made another donation to Roger for an Emerald. Nothing confirmed as yet but if I can get it before next weekend then I could be visiting Brian to both check the vernier timing and install the Emerald. I've absolutely no experience with Emeralds whereas Brian already has one on his Imp so hopefully between us we'll be able to get it up and running with a basic map. I've been in contact with John Sleath race cars near Doncaster (he's one of Emerald's approved dealers) and quite local to me. It looks like he could fit me in with about a weeks notice currently, so there's still chance I can have the car ready again in time for the Chatsworth / Donington weekend.

Does anyone know what happens regarding the car's Cobra alarm / immobiliser when you fit an Emerald? I'm sure it's not an issue but I can't seem to find much info on it, possibly due to the subject matter I suppose?

Likewise Ollie, we'll have to meet up one of these days and compare notes...

Thought I'd cross one more job off the list today and check to see if the cat was okay.........................

....he looked pretty relaxed rolleyes.gif

IMG_8484_zpsf9598a3d.jpg

He's not even our cat but he spends virtually all his time here....mostly sleeping!

I jacked the car up, took the rear diffuser off and removed the catalytic converter to check that it wasn't starting to disintegrate and thus limiting power. I've not heard any rattles so no reason to think that it should be and sure enough all is well:-

IMG_8595_zpsc215aed3.jpg

IMG_8592_zps87826abf.jpg

Back together again now and waiting for the postman smile.png

Archived