litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Sabre Heads Kr1 Plus Newman Phase 2 Cams

Phil S1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil, that wont help. I have ordered a Jim special. The flexy will be in the SCRP. Not a cheap upgrade if you already have a sports manifold though. Mines replacing a standard one and i have high hopes. We will see.

All that work for 4 ponies.....;-)

Just an observation but I don't think you've lost any low down torque because if both before and after runs went to the limiter (6800) then the wheel speed to rpm calc on today's runs is a bit out, which would shift the graph to the left a little.

If you want to borrow the emerald off the imp for a mapping run then let me know, save you buying one before you know if there's any gain...... But I feel its something else.

Brian

Yeah, it was a lot of effort for 4 HP Bri, mostly on your part wink.gif

I don't think they went all the way to the limiter with the KR1 but after seeing how Russ's kept on giving up to 8000 they thought they'd see if mine would too with the cams in laugh.png

Thanks for the offer of the Emerald, but like you, I wonder if it's something more fundamental.

I have the same set up as you but a stock manifold (s2) and a 50mm throttle body and bigger airbox intake otherwise identical. I found the 5mm RO a little large and have settled on 4.5mm as its a balance between revs dropping and tendency to stall. I have found opening the throttle screw more helps but really the tickover is a bit low at 900 rattling the mainshaft and I cant get it any higher the ecu just adjusts to 900. I struggled on emissions with mine and looking at the a/f on yours at the bottom end I can see why the bottom end is really rich and all at sea I expect you will have the same problem. I have almost resigned myself to Emerald or stock cams back in but Im going to try the stock fuel pressure and see if that helps but I doubt it. Mine goes really well but I don't know the output as it hasn't been RR,d . I wonder if the cam timing is just too much for MEMS, Im running identical lift.

Thanks for that info Legin, all interesting stuff. Like you, I think I might experiment with the hole size of the restrictor plug to see how it affects the idle. Mine currently idles okay, it's when I come to a halt that it will sometimes dip down to around 500rpm and cut out. There are a fair few who have gone down this route on seloc to good effect, producing 150-155 BHP and over 160 with an ECU. I've emailed Roger to see what his thoughts are, currently I presume it must be either the induction or cat that's limiting things a bit.

You need to open the throttle on the limit screw (more than you would think) if you are dipping below 850 ish and stalling, the ecu will quickly settle the idle back to normal again. Mine drives pretty well but the idle emissions are way off. Im in the process of fitting a LC1 to see my A/F real time, got as far as welding the bung into the downpipe then decided I want to actually drive the thing so on hold for now.

Just got in from a bit of a run to experiment with a couple of things. After another half turn of the idle screw I seem to have cured the stalling. Didn't count whilst I've been doing it but I guess it must been wound in a good few turns now.

Out of curiosity I just tried a restrictor plug with a 6,35mm (1/4 inch) hole but that resulted in the revs starting to hold again, most noticeable when accelerating up through the gears. So I am back to the 5mm hole for now. It takes a few seconds before the idle will settle to 950rpm with a little hover at 1100rpm beforehand so I might try a 4,50mm hole next, the same as Legin is currently using.

This was also the first time I have really stretched it's legs since putting the cams in. Aside from the idle, which now seems to be resolved, the general driveabilty of the car is still as good as it ever was. It still pulls smoothly from lower revs with no noticeable loss of low-down power but what is noticeable now is a definite surge from just below 5000rpm and that's reflected in the graph too so I'm happy with that.

I've been looking at other people's graphs on dyno-plot and seloc to try and figure out if there is something holding it back on the dyno but it's not that obvious. I don't think it's the panel filter, it could be the throttle body and/or cat. If we decide to have a club dyno day at Area 52 sometime then I might see if I can borrow a sports cat or de-wedged 48mm / 52mm throttle body and give that a try. For the moment, I'm more than happy to just drive it.

I've had plenty of feedback from Roger too, one of the things he mentioned was to check that the cat is still in good order and not starting to break up so something else to investigate at some point.

Phil, im hoping to be going to Area 52 in the next month or so. I will give you a shout. It might be worth a run with a decat just for comparison? I realise all these runs start to add up money wise though.

Likewise Phil if you do meet up with Martin at the dyno let me know and if I can ill pop over and you can borrow my K&N 57i cone filter to see if that makes a difference.

Phil, im hoping to be going to Area 52 in the next month or so. I will give you a shout. It might be worth a run with a decat just for comparison? I realise all these runs start to add up money wise though.

Martin,

I need to go again once I have checked the valve timing and sourced a replacement TMAP sensor. Let me know when you book and If I can I will book the same day ( Can't make it in the next 3 weeks though )

Russ.

Thanks for that chaps, I'll keep an eye out for a possible return trip to Area 52 then, late June suits me too. Thanks for the offer of the filter too Dean, I'll have a think about that.

Brian's also emailed me info on the Newman cams and we've been discussing the merits or otherwise of playing around with the timing a bit. Not sure how much clearance with have to play with though before valves and pistons might meet so need to give that one some thought too. Any idea on that one Martin?

Lots of possibilities and really need to try just one at a time and check the result but as Martin says, that starts adding up to a lot of rolling road time.

Archived