litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Potential New Owner - What To Get?

Stik

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turns out the chassis is bent :( I had no idea, it's wiped several thousand off its value

Off on holiday now, so going to try not worry about it for a week

Pretty sad really :'(

Alloy bits at the front :-( the steel rear bit might at least have been weldable. I've got a long post on the vx owner forum if you're curious. At the airport on my phone at the moment so can't really find the link

Copied from vx220.org.uk

Really pissed right now.

"Just had some guys out to look at my VX and make me an offer. They know what they're looking for and have identified that the original accident was actually in the front, not the back . The front left corner of the chassis shows bending and warping where the wishbones attach. I'm utterly gutted, i knew nothing about this. The service history appears to be completely fake as well, he showed me the car's MOT history and the mileages are inconsistent and stamped with an identical general "Vauxhall UK" stamp.

He has offered me £5k for it. Is this reasonable? For reference here's the advert i originally put up (minus chassis damage, of course)

http://www.pistonhea...p-remap/1168580

Summary: Bad bodywork. 70k miles, 32k on the engine. 240bhp remap, sports exhaust. Bent chassis

I think my lesson here is don't buy privately unless you know the technical stuff! I hadn't a clue about any of this when i bought it"

http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/topic/121782-chassis-damage/

I noticed that too Chris but why put a dirty great white spot on the door? Yours looks like a top colour - between you & me we've got Gulf colours !

Haha yeah thats true!! I think the white spot would look better with a decal of some sort in it perhaps a number.

Bad news about the VX mate hope u get a reasonable deal still so u can get you dream car

Before you accept what I'm sure in an insulting offer, is there an expert in the VX Club or a local garage you really trust that can tell you how bad the damage is? Is it structural making the car dangerous or is it just cosmetic? Is tyre wear even? Does it pull to either side when braking or accelerating? Does it feel strange when turning left or right?

Ask yourself - how many MOTs has it got through since the damage? Its quite easy to find out when it was declared Cat C from a DPI check (maybe the DVLA as well), and dates of previous MOTs are available from the DVLA. Is it worth having an IVA inspection like when you need to put a kit car on the road?

The world is full of 'teeth suckers/experts' who accompany potential purchasers just to in theory find out loads of things wrong with your car so they can get a ridiculous discount. Lets face it - if it was disasterous and these blokes are supposed experts - they wouldn't even offer you £5k?

Dont let this ruin your holiday, it is not the end of the world, do not panic into accepting the first offer that comes along - and if you're in Tenerife let me know where & I'll come & find you in a few days

Take it to Unit 4 when you get back and get an honest / independant opinion.

Yes, that's all you can do for now.

Should an good independant find something, the questions you may want to ask are :

" is it repairable?"

" do I really want to sell the car?"

" shall i just play with it, go on track or event race it?"

As above, get an independent to check it. If it drove fine for you, it can't be so bad and why would they offer anything if it was so bad?

They are probably made up seeing your post, thinking they will grab a bargain! Get it checked somewhere, check the mots via dvla an if all is ok, update your original post saying so.

As for color, I've a bright yellow s2, the brightest colour at that time, and worried about it being too loud - hell no. I'm so glad I got the yellow one as is stood out from the red and other color I liked.

When I saw the cr in blue once I instantly wanted that colour it is lovely but tasteful. You will not regret the colour.

Good luck with the vx, and the only thing to worry about right now is ur other half spotting u checking totty out and giving you a clip!

Sadly the guys on the vx form do know their stuff, so I'm not all that optimistic about getting much more from it after a proper inspection but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Definitely want the cr now, I just think by the time I get back from my holidays and get everything sorted out someone else will buy it. If the dealer can drop about 1k off it then I might just be able to afford it still, but it's a lot to argue down and I'm a rubbish haggler :-)

Pah! A grand is nothing as a discount. Try and get £2k off and you might end up where you want to be, or at least get some benefits bundled (longer warranty, first service etc..). I love the CR too and was going to get the central stripe on my S1.

Archived