Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark H

Rebellion Racing Back To Asia For The Final Round Of The World Enduran

The REBELLION RACING team has returned to Asia for the eighth and last race of the 2012 FIA World Endurance Championship. The 6 Hours of Shanghai will take place at the International Circuit of Shanghai on Sunday 28th October.

Located in the suburbs of Shanghai, the International Circuit of Shanghai is a 5.451 km track built in 2004. Comprising long straights and short turns, the track hosts the F1 Grand Prix of China, it has been a regular fixture on the Formula 1 calendar since its inauguration.

The 6 Hours of Shanghai will be the second race for REBELLION Racing in China, the team finished in 4th place overall at the 6 Hours of Zhuhai in 2011.

CongFu Cheng, the Chinese rising star driver, will share the driving of the #13 Lola-Toyota with Andrea Belicchi and Harold Primat for the Shanghai round.

CongFu Cheng is the first Chinese driver who has raced and finished on the podium at Le Mans 24 Hours (in the LMP2 class in 2008). His background includes A1 Grand Prix from 2006 to 2009, Formula 3 (British and Euroseries) between 2007 and 2008 and the DTM championship for Mercedes in 2010. Last year, he competed in the Chinese round of the ILMC in Zhuhai with Mika Hakkinen sharing the drive of a Mercedes SLS.

The driver lineup of the #12 Lola Toyota will remain unchanged with Neel Jani and Nicolas Prost at the wheel.

Although REBELLION Racing have already achieved their main targets of the season with the win in the FIA Endurance Trophy for LMP1 teams and the overall win at Petit Le Mans in the past two weeks, the Swiss team is determined to end a great season on the highest note.

CongFu Cheng - Lola-Toyota #13 :

«I am really looking forward to my home race with REBELLION Racing. I really appreciate the chance that REBELLION Racing is giving me. I will do my best and will work together with my teammates Andrea Belicchi and Harold Primat and the team to achieve the best possible result. I have got some friends in Rebellion Racing already, especially I am good friends with Neel Jani and know Nico Prost from my time in A1 GP. I was the first Chinese driver that raced and finished on the podium at Le Mans 24 Hours (in LMP2 class in 2008). Obviously jumping into an LMP1 car and racing together with some of the great drivers will be challenging, but I am confident with myself of being able to perform well in Shanghai. It's absolutely my honour to race for REBELLION Racing. And surely, we will get very good media interest and coverage given the quality of the team and me as a Chinese driver in my home country race ».

Bart Hayden, REBELLION Racing Team Manager :

« We will be competing at the 6 Hours of Shanghai with no pressure as we have achieved all our targets for this season. But our determination will remain high to achieve a strong result here in Shanghai to close off our fantastic season. Our cars and crew are as well prepared as ever. So, targeting a podium finish in Shanghai is not a unreachable objective.»

This post has been promoted to an article

• Similar Content

• By Mark H
      GP2 driver Simon Trummer faces the biggest challenge of his career so far as he prepares to switch from the official F1 feeder series to the very pinnacle of endurance racing. The 25-year-old Swiss national will contest his first endurance race in the CLM P1/01 sports car at the penultimate round of the FIA WEC, the 6 Hours of Bahrain on Saturday, November 15.

Simon Trummer, Official Driver: "After many years in single seater-racing I have decided to look for a new challenge and I see this step as a great opportunity to help the team with developing their prototype car. I also have to admit that endurance racing has always fascinated me. It’s too early to talk about goals for Bahrain but at least I have the advantage that I know the track pretty well, I finished second in this year’s GP2 sprint race there. Endurance racing is clearly new to me and I will follow the new procedures carefully and try to familiarise myself quickly with my new team.”
      Boris Bermes, Head of Operations: "We have followed Simon’s career over the past few years and consider him to be a driver with the necessary talent for a successful career in endurance racing. As a private LMP1 team we can definitely offer him a springboard in our sport and we’re very much looking forward to seeing what he can achieve in Bahrain.
      I would also like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the hard work of our entire team who have clearly demonstrated their skill and commitment in repairing the fire damage from Fuji and rebuilding the CLM/P1 in record time. Not only this but they also managed a podium finish in Shanghai. We have finished two of the last three 6-Hour-Races and in addition to reliability we are now turning our focus to performance, I still see a lot of potential in terms of drivability and tire wear.”
    • By Mark H
      GP2 driver Simon Trummer faces the biggest challenge of his career so far as he  prepares to switch from the official F1 feeder series to the very pinnacle of endurance racing. The 25-year-old Swiss national will contest his first endurance race in the CLM P1/01 sports car at the penultimate round of the FIA WEC, the 6 Hours of Bahrain on Saturday, November 15.

Simon Trummer, Official Driver: "After many years in single seater-racing I have decided to look for a new challenge and I see this step as a great opportunity to help the team with developing their prototype car. I also have to admit that endurance racing has always fascinated me. It’s too early to talk about goals for Bahrain but at least I have the advantage that I know the track pretty well, I finished second in this year’s GP2 sprint race there. Endurance racing is clearly new to me and I will follow the new procedures carefully and try to familiarise myself quickly with my new team.”
      Boris Bermes, Head of Operations: "We have followed Simon’s career over the past few years and consider him to be a driver with the necessary talent for a successful career in endurance racing. As a private LMP1 team we can definitely offer him a springboard in our sport and we’re very much looking forward to seeing what he can achieve in Bahrain.
      I would also like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the hard work of our entire team who have clearly demonstrated their skill and commitment in repairing the fire damage from Fuji and rebuilding the CLM/P1 in record time. Not only this but they also managed a podium finish in Shanghai. We have finished two of the last three 6-Hour-Races and in addition to reliability we are now turning our focus to performance, I still see a lot of potential in terms of drivability and tire wear.”

• By Mark H
      The all-new Lotus P1/01 took centre stage at the iconic 24 hours of Le Mans event today as the LMP1 L class car was unveiled to the media and public for the very first time.

The Le Mans Innovation Centre played host to the much anticipated unveiling where Lotus LMP drivers Christijan Albers, Christophe Bouchut and Pierre Kaffer were on hand to do the honours and pull the cover from the stunning Paul White designed car.

Delays resulting from an unavoidable change in engine supplier prevent the team from compet-ing at the world famous race this weekend, much to the disappointment of the team and the drivers. Despite this, the unveiling was an enormously proud moment for the team, the iconic LMP 1 class represents the highest class of sports car racing, attracting some of the best drivers in the world and is usually dominated by world famous manufacturers.

Commenting at the launch, Lotus LMP Head of Operations, Boris Bermes said: “It’s really heart-warming to see so many supporters and fans of the team here in Le Mans. It’s difficult to be here and not compete, we have a team of very talented, very competitive individuals and all they want to do is race. They really did everything they could to try and meet the homologation deadline but now we focus all our efforts on testing ahead of Austin in September. I’m looking forward to showing our fans and our competitors what the car can do in the not too distant fu-ture.”

The Lotus LMP drivers in attendance made it clear that they are really looking forward to getting behind the wheel of the P1/01, former Formula 1 driver Christijan Albers said: “The P1/01 has awesome potential and I can’t wait to see what the it can do. For sure, it’s strange to be here and not race but the team is definitely remaining positive about the rest of the season, anything can happen in this sport.”

To follow the Lotus LMP Team go to the newly launched website: www.lotus-lmp.com.
    • By Mark H
      The all-new Lotus P1/01 took centre stage at the iconic 24 hours of Le Mans event today as the LMP1 L class car was unveiled to the media and public for the very first time.

The Le Mans Innovation Centre played host to the much anticipated unveiling where Lotus LMP drivers Christijan Albers, Christophe Bouchut and Pierre Kaffer were on hand to do the honours and pull the cover from the stunning Paul White designed car.

Delays resulting from an unavoidable change in engine supplier prevent the team from compet-ing at the world famous race this weekend, much to the disappointment of the team and the drivers. Despite this, the unveiling was an enormously proud moment for the team, the iconic LMP 1 class represents the highest class of sports car racing, attracting some of the best drivers in the world and is usually dominated by world famous manufacturers.

Commenting at the launch, Lotus LMP Head of Operations, Boris Bermes said: “It’s really heart-warming to see so many supporters and fans of the team here in Le Mans. It’s difficult to be here and not compete, we have a team of very talented, very competitive individuals and all they want to do is race. They really did everything they could to try and meet the homologation deadline but now we focus all our efforts on testing ahead of Austin in September. I’m looking forward to showing our fans and our competitors what the car can do in the not too distant fu-ture.”

The Lotus LMP drivers in attendance made it clear that they are really looking forward to getting behind the wheel of the P1/01, former Formula 1 driver Christijan Albers said: “The P1/01 has awesome potential and I can’t wait to see what the it can do. For sure, it’s strange to be here and not race but the team is definitely remaining positive about the rest of the season, anything can happen in this sport.”

To follow the Lotus LMP Team go to the newly launched website: www.lotus-lmp.com.

• By Mark H
      REBELLION Racing is pleased to announce their driver line-ups for the 12 Hours of Sebring and the first three rounds of the FIA World Endurance Championship, including the Le Mans 24 Hours.

The "3N" trio that prevented Audi's clean-sweep in last year’s Le Mans 24 Hours by claiming a fourth place finish, will be reunited in the #12 Lola-Toyota. Nick Heidfeld (Germany), Neel Jani (Switzerland) and Nicolas Prost (France) will share driving duties at the 12 Hours of Sebring.

In the Team’s sister car, the #13 Lola-Toyota, Andrea Belicchi (Italy) will be joined by ELMS LMP2 Champion Mathias Beche (Switzerland) and CongFu Cheng (China), his teammate during last year's FIA WEC 6 Hours of Shanghai win.

The same REBELLION Racing driver squads will also contest the 6 Hours of Silverstone (UK), 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps (Belgium) and Le Mans 24 Hours in the FIA World Endurance Championship.

REBELLION Racing is also pleased to announce that Nick Heidfeld and Neel Jani will lead the team's effort in the American Le Mans Series. After Sebring, they will both experience street racing with the Lola-Toyota LMP1 at Long Beach and enjoy the experience of The Corkscrew at Laguna Seca only a week after racing respectively at Silverstone and Spa !

March-June race by race driver line-ups :

ALMS - 12 Hours of Sebring
      March 16
      Lola-Toyota #12 : Nick Heidfeld - Neel Jani - Nicolas Prost
      Lola-Toyota #13 : Andrea Belicchi - Mathias Beche - CongFu Cheng

FIA WEC - 6 Hours of Silverstone
      April 14
      Lola-Toyota #12 : Nick Heidfeld - Neel Jani - Nicolas Prost
      Lola-Toyota #13 : Andrea Belicchi - Mathias Beche - CongFu Cheng

ALMS - GP of Long Beach
      April 20
      Lola-Toyota #13 : Nick Heidfeld - Neel Jani