Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Big Power For The Lego Brick!

MrSimba

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Well had the car back for a couple of days now so had chance to clean everything up smile.png

When I started I wanted the engine bay to look 'OE'+ not like I'd done it myself... which I had, just didn't want it to look like it!!!

Anyway its ended up exactly as I wanted smile.png

ee6e288537_md.jpg

8fd59b9725_md.jpg

54b298a523_md.jpg

Still need that Sutton 'Chapter' MLOC night out!!!

When I started I wanted the engine bay to look 'OE'+ not like I'd done it myself... which I had, just didn't want it to look like it!!!

That looks like no OE engine bay I've ever seen!

Still need that Sutton 'Chapter' MLOC night out!!!

And yes, we do. Wednesdays (after 9) or Thursdays are generally fairly good for me.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the VX guys who lives out on track came over to see the car as he's interested in going cable throttle & standalone ECU and took the car out and kindly posted his thoughts on it :)

Had a drive of MrSimba's car yesterday and its very very impressive! Drives like the car would if it had come out of the dealership with 370bhp. I wasn't completely convinced in all the chat about smooth power delivery so when i first went out with Simon driving i asked him to accelerate as slow as possible from barely moving all the way up to the red line and the car was ridiculously smooth. So then i asked him to hold it on part throttle then accelerate and let off constantly still nothing no fluttering at all.

Headed back to the car park where i stuck my head in the footwell to check out the throttle pedal. The pedal is stiffer than oe but felt good and controllable under foot. Be interested to see it on track with heal and toe (im still pretty sh*t at h&t though ).

At this point i think Simon was getting annoyed with my constant questions about different scenarios as i tried to convince my self it was sh*t and i really didn't need to part with any of my cash . So he chucked me the keys, i still haven't decided if this was to get rid of me to get some piece and quiet or so that i would be completely convinced. I hit the road and tootled off doing everything that i had already asked Simon to do as i was sure i could fcuk it up. I drove it at low revs which is a little boring after being use to my little turbo boosting like hell at that point and this doesn't come alive to higher up the rev range. The only time i could get a slight flutter was holding the revs right at the point where the turbo wants to really boost and kept slowly pushing the throttle pedal up and down and it still felt fine and im sure i would never come across this driving normally on the track or the road, it was just down to me trying to find faults. I think that sums it up really that i tried my hardest to fault it and just couldnt. It pulls like a train when you want it and can be driven by your nan at low revs as long as you trust her to park it.

Car was an absolute pleasure to drive although i don't want to go down the garrett route my self as i like the fact i can blow my engine up one week and could have a new one in the next as they are readily available. Not to mention i don't fancy changing gearboxes every 2 mins. It has shown me that i would love to see how this standalone package would improve a fairly standard stage 4 vx and i have changed my mind that a high powered vxt can drive as well as the hype lead me to believe. May well give it a whirl myself but i would prefer someone else to go first before i part with my hard earned so i can see if the same gains are to be had from my setup. Love the idea of having two maps as well, one for a wet track and a balls out map for the dry. Also means i could let friends or my girlfriend drive it without me being too worried.

Well done all involved in getting this car to the level its at and making a high powered VXT comfortable to drive in any weather. Should shut some of those whinning sc boys up now . This should of been done years ago!

• 3 months later...

Car went back up to EFi on Monday for a health check & the first run on the dyno showed the car 20bhp down on before so something was wrong, Chris went through the mapping and tried a few things but the most he could get the car to do was 352bhp and overlaying the dyno sheets from last time the turbo was having to work a lot harder & run the car richer to achieve this 'its definatly mechanical' said Chris sad.png

7239652926_md.jpg

Tuesday Dave H did a full compression & leakdown test on the engine and it was in perfect health smile.png leak down on all 4 cylinders was 98/100!!! bowdown.gif

So Dave decided to pressurise the inlet system & check that with a very handy homemade attachment which finds leaks in seconds!

105d556513_md.jpg

Turns out I'd a large boost leak so an easy fix & more amazed that the car made 352bhp with that!!! can't wait to see what it can achieve now fixed!!!

One other problem was the engine at high rpm was building too much crank case pressure I'd vented both the engine & gearbox to seperate filters but now need a breather off both sides of the cam cover not just the one, so am taking out the rubber hose to crank case & Dave H made me a breather pipe to replace it with which I'll 'T' piece into the existing catch tank & see how it is smile.png

d6b86c00a6_md.jpg

dcba4f55cb_md.jpg

Archived