litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

What Is The Best Tyre For An S2 Elise?

Chris_edeson

im soon to be needing tyres.... and wanted opinions from the experts.

i use my elise 365 days a year so wet, snow, dry i will drive in it all. im doing 1 track day this year.

i currently have yoko AD07's they have done 15k miles on 1 set with 4mm left at the moment.

do i get AD07's, or iv seen theres an AD08 now... iv seen people mention bridgestones, Toyo's, even Falken ZE912's....

Obvs i want the best tyre for my money are the cheaper options as good as the yoko's but cheper as they are not a big "brand"??

all very confusing this is!! ;-/

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AD08 seen these on a VX220 at the midlands meet last week very highly rated .

as mine need replacing soon have been in contact with these guys.

£479.00

Brand New Yokohama AD08 Road legal and Track day Tyres.

This is for a set of 4 tyres.

2 Fronts 205 45 16 and 2 Rears 225 45 17

Fitted for free at our High Wycombe depot. Only minutes from Junction 4 of the M40.

Adams and Page, Lincoln Road, Cressex Business Park, High Wycombe, Bucks, HP12 3RQ.

Tel: 01494 525971 or 01494 445389.

We are open Monday - Friday 8.30 - 6.00 and Saturdays 8.30 -12.30

Personally I wouldn't go near a tyre that wasn't designed specifically for the Elise, with input from the Lotus ride and handling guys. The Bridgestones meet that criteria for sure. The Yokohamas fitted OE to the newer models probably do as well.

I also think the ones with the best wet weather performance are the ones to have (whichever they are, I dunno!) because they are all plenty good enough in the dry. What you want is something grippy, progressive and forgiving in the wet.

its an absolute minefield trying to choose a tyre.....theres loads of threads on seloc, but i still come away none the wiser...same size fronts, or increase to a 205. will it rub, will it lower it and i hit speedhumps.....its a nightmare!!!!

if only we didnt have winter, it would be so much easier!!!!

from reading tonight chris, the ad08 does seem a good option for you...

AD08's or R1R's would be my choice as an 'only' tyre, both fantastic in the dry and surprisingly good in the wet.

Had ordered some AD08's for my DTC's that are on the way but got a call to say none of the fronts were either in the country or at Yokohama so these arrived yesterday...

c98f9740f4_md.jpg

Kumho V70A's (medium compound) which are getting rave reviews at the moment, but I'll be keeping the R1R's as a 'wet' option!!!!

AD08's or R1R's would be my choice as an 'only' tyre, both fantastic in the dry and surprisingly good in the wet.

Had ordered some AD08's for my DTC's that are on the way but got a call to say none of the fronts were either in the country or at Yokohama so these arrived yesterday...

c98f9740f4_md.jpg

Kumho V70A's (medium compound) which are getting rave reviews at the moment, but I'll be keeping the R1R's as a 'wet' option!!!!

What price and where from

Please Eddie

Camskill we're the best for the V70A's very good discount probably best to check the prices for the Elise as these are slightly different sides but work out arround £150 a corner :)

Did I read that right 15k miles on AD07s - - I got less than half that so switched to potenza - and the rears are getting close to limit after 8k - I have a 111R and I do enjoy the power ! I have done about 200 track miles at Castle Coombe on them too.

I was getting about 12k when I had my old Rover 120hp S2

Chris - you say you have an S2 and from your info it is a "S" so thats the 135 hp yoto motor

Anyone else got any thoughts - do the more powerful Elise's eat tyres for breakfast

Did I read that right 15k miles on AD07s - - I got less than half that so switched to potenza - and the rears are getting close to limit after 8k - I have a 111R and I do enjoy the power ! I have done about 200 track miles at Castle Coombe on them too.

Chris - you say you have an S2 and from your info it is a "S" so thats the 135 hp yoto motor

Anyone else got any thoughts - do the more powerful Elise's eat tyres for breakfast

Yes Yoks A0 48

I love my ad07s. they've got more grip in the dry than the bridgestones especially at the front, but the downside is they lose grip easy in the wet compared to the bridgestones. They are progressive when they lose traction in the wet but they do go easily under power.

I had a set of continental sport contact 2s on at one point and they was as great all rounder, very very good in the wet, but the 195s on the skinny rims killed a lot of the feedback in the steering wheel compared to the bridgestones and ad07s.

ideally I would like to get a second set of wheels (exige sizes) so that I can stick a set of track day tyres in them, but in your case couldn't you get another set of wheels for something a bit more winter/rain friendly? the exige front wheels allow for much more common sizes of tyres to be used.

Yep! 15k and counting on the ad07's they are great really. So maybe i just stick with them when i get the new ones. And also yes i have the standard 134bhp yota elise!

this is a quote from a previous thread. really like these tyres; less harsh ride, dont hang on in cormers and then suddenly let go like the Yoko's much more progressive . each to their own though.

"had a set fitted yesterday at Mr Tyre new oscott; good equipment including torque wrench and rubber protection for their trolley jacks. Les and Matt were very conscientious; open and willing to use the correct jacking points, torque settings etc. They have no problems fitting tyres only for our members. phone 0121 355 5833

tyres i went for were Hancook ventus prime 2: F 195 50 16 R 225 45 17 . not been far but they are so much quieter and less of a harsh ride than the ADo7's should last better and they grip in the wet!

the AD 07's are forsale if you want some ; fronts ( 175 55 16)have about 5 to 6mm tread and rears (225 45 17)about 4 ish mm."

Archived