litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Broken Gear Change

TJewsbury

I've broken my gear change on the way home today. I want to get fixed quickly. The gear stick feels like it's disconnected. The gear stick moves forwards and backwards but not side to side, but doesn't do anything. I think the cars stuck in 3rd or 4th. I need to fix quickly. Any ideas? Have some cables snapped?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes! sure you have a broken cable. Mine went 3 weeks ago,

,the result was stuck in 3rd. Rang round and what a shock! Lotus £200+ Matty about £174+ Elise Parts no help.BUT Elise £134 for both cables. The above were for one cable Eliseshop for both cables + they are much stronger than originals

The cables are well known for going AOL,I'm sure its a 2 man job,we did it in 3 hours,no instructions and nothing in the manual at all (workshop). As the cables are thicker than Lotus the centre consul is a PITA to get back.Now we know how its done we could do it in half the time if we had to. I replaced both as I did'nt want the same job for the other cable in the next year or so

Go on line quite a good pic and the reason for the HD cables

Let me know if you want more info on job

T jewsbury am 20 miles from Leicester if you want to talk I had the cables in 36 hours

Thanks for reply.

I've had the gear stick shroud taken off today. It is the forwards and backwards gear change cable snapped clean off at the gear box side.

Lotus main dealer won't look at it till 26th!!!

I've got Donnington booked the 28th! And Spa 2nd!

I can't find anyone else in Leciester that will do it.

Going to look for guides. But if anyone could help that would be great.

I don't have many tools or experience.

I guess you have contacted Sratstones? good advice under my mail INDY is the way to go.you do need a good tool kit to have a go Are you in AA or RAC? It,s not a good idea to let them tow it you need it on a low loader, you can finish with more damage to your plastics, and then the job will cost a;lot more

I've broken my gear change on the way home today. I want to get fixed quickly. The gear stick feels like it's disconnected. The gear stick moves forwards and backwards but not side to side, but doesn't do anything. I think the cars stuck in 3rd or 4th. I need to fix quickly. Any ideas? Have some cables snapped?

Could try these

http://www.allonwhite.co.uk/Home/

http://www.lakesideengineering.com/services%20lotus/services.htm

Thanks for the replies. I've found a few indys who've helped.

But Big Problem:

The cable is on back order at Lotus with 20th April at the earliest.

The cable is apparently spesific to the Europa S.

I have Donnington booked next week and Spa the week after.

I need to find someone who can make or mend the cable fast!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Yes, thanks for the help.

I got back from my trip down to Spa and Nurburgring this week.

Steve Guglielmi helped me out again.

The guys at Guglielmi fassioned a replacement cable from a Toyota cable they had.

It got me through a few tracks and a drive round europe just fine.

I need to have it replaced for the correct cable, so i'm looking into a replica now.

The cable is spesific to the Lotus Europa S!

As we're at the factory next week were ask the question as you say it's on back order but you never no don't ask you don't get just in case

Contact phone number

Eddie

Archived